Double Binds

by Qcmbr 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Interesting discussion re use of double binds to control people behind the Mormon curtain: http://forum.newordermormon.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29936

In short it is giving someone two options which are in some way mutually exclusive such that success in one guarantees failure in the other and then attaching guilt. This way members continually chase their tails failing to meet all demands, feel guilt and hand over control to the person, concept or organisation.

Mormon examples:

• "No success will compensate for failure in the home" / Wear yourself out in service to your fellow man / Never say no to a calling.
    • If you don't have a testimony it will come by bearing it / Do not lie or give false witness.
    • Free will - moral agency / Be obedient without question
    • Prophet will "never lead you astray " / Sometimes the prophet "speaks as a man"
    • The "glory of God is intelligence" / Only study church approved material
    • Have unshakeable faith / Avoid information that may weaken your testimony
    • Do not get into debt / Pay 10% of income before all other obligations
    • Do not gossip / Discuss the needs and problems of your assigned families to various committees
    • Atonement is free for all people / confess sins to Priesthood leadership who will decide if atonement has worked and you are forgiven

There are lots more, have any JW examples?

• rubadubdub
    rubadubdub

I'll play!

w88 11/1p.22par.12WhenMaritalPeaceIsThreatened***

Absolute endangermentofspirituality also provides a basis for separation.

w88 11/1p.26par.1HasGodCalledYoutoPeace?***

In general, the Scriptures counsel married people to remain together, even if one mate is a Christian and the other an unbeliever. (1 Corinthians 7:12-16) Moreover, treacherous dealings that result in severing matrimonial ties make one morally accountable to God, who ‘hates a divorcing.’—Malachi 2:13-16.

Double Binds:

Never speak to an apostate or read apostate literature, the devil is a roaring lion seeking to devour you/Only adultery breaks the marriage bond. If you are married to an apostate Jehovah will protect your spiritually and will not test you beyond what you can bear.

The Bible thus warns us: “The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?” (Jer. 17:9)/Treacherous dealings that result in severing matrimonial ties make one morally accountable to God, who ‘hates a divorcing.’

The elders can’t make the decisions regarding Absoluteendangerment ofspirituality for you/You can’t make the decision for yourself, because your heart is treacherous.

I guess since Jehovah didn’t protect me spiritually, He is the reason I’m now an apostate!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit