To shun is a barbaric way to control resources of those in need

Even in a divorce, a spouse has to pay support to the children

and sometimes transitional support

The absent parent is free to choose to shun the spouse and kids

their is no law that forces them to visit to my knowledge

but they are not free to shun life sustainin' support

• steve2
    steve2

JW business owners with close links to the organization but who have doubts about the organization have to carefully weigh up the pros and cons of leaving because it could have serious consequences for their business or employment and could even risk their livelihood.

A JW acquaintance of mine had a carpet cleaning business with quite a few JWs and JW-friendly customers. When his meeting attendance declined over a matter of months he was left in no doubt that he risked losing JW customers. He decided to become more regular in his meeting attendance and put in the occasional field service to reduce his anxiety over losing business. These gestures certainly helped allay his anxiety. Ulitimately though both he and his wife realized they were living a lie for the sake of the business and he purposely developed a customer base outside of his JW circles and he eventually left the organization.

• blondie
    blondie

There was a Robert Bryant and family in California that was df'd and lost all his customers. He and family moved to McMinnville and things seemed to be okay but then he killed his family and himself. There could have been other factors in play, but start picking up non-jw customers that won't drop you if you are inactive or df'd by jws.

When I had my own business, I made it a point not to work for other jws. It prevented misunderstandings and b eing stiffed by a jw customer.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

To shun is to judge. Period. These fanatics don't even realize they are going against scripture in "judging" others.
    What's worse, they don't judge for themselves, but according to the decision of a commitee that has judged for them.
    They don't even have the curiosity to question the commitee! Absurd and wicked.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

// When I had my own business, I made it a point not to work for other jws. It prevented misunderstandings and b eing stiffed by a jw customer.//

Smart move Blondie! I agree — NEVER do business with a JW. THey COUNT on the fact that you will never sue them.

• Pickler
    Pickler

Make sure you have a job not tied to JW - this is number 1!

I would recommend getting a job in a big company, or university, anywhere where there is a big group of people your own age (whatever that is ). Having a social network is so important. A lot of JW find socializing awkward, particularly out in the world. Work socializing makes it easier, because you already have something in common to talk about. A lot of big companies run sport teams, volunteer at charities etc, do it all.

Sport/ gyms give you another layer of social activity.

I think a practical problem can be the combination of extra free time & loss of all your old friends & activities. Tire yourself out, walk to work & home, get a second job on the weekends, to much spare time to think can be so hard....and can lead to self medicating with drugs and alcohol - not a good idea.

Also, if you grew up JW there are lots of things you just don't know, like politics, history, current affairs etc, start learning on the Internet, everything can be googled. If you don't know something and get caught out, just laugh, no one is judging you like they do in the org.

JW paint the world as a grim depraved place...it isn't so! It's full of amazing people and experiences!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit