Today's text--Jehovah, the 'Impartial' God

by sd-7 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sd-7
    sd-7

"Jehovah your God...treats none with partiality."--Deut. 10:17.

"Impartiality is one of Jehovah's endearing qualities." <--Yes, between that and his tendency towards genocidal warfare, I don't know what makes me love him more.

"What does it mean to be impartial? It involves being fair, free from having or showing bias or favoritism." Fair. Like condemning an entire race to death for the actions of two people. Letting people beat and murder your favorite son to save the same aforementioned race from your own punishment!

Free from showing bias. Like not preferring one nation over all others for the majority of human history, for instance.

So...I'm trying to figure out how exactly Jehovah even remotely fits this definition.

"Hence, one who is impartial will pay due regard, not to an individual's outward appearance or circumstances, but to his or her character as a person." <--So can we explain again why wearing a sportcoat and slacks at a meeting if you have a talk is generally frowned upon by people imitating the 'impartial' God? Or why women shouldn't wear pants? For the same reasons said God doesn't qualify as impartial. He's not, and they're not.

Fair. Like forbidding any audio or video recording of judicial committees held in secret, for example.

I could go on, but it's clear that neither the Watchtower nor their god can be properly called impartial.

--sd-7

• freddo
    freddo

God is not partial.

He doesn't mind if a Tsunami he chooses to let happen kills Japanese, Indonesians or Thais. Same with Earthquakes - Haitians, Italians, Nepalese - he's not fussed which nation or race they come from.

He doesn't lift a fat finger for any of them.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    You're on a roll sd!
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    God is not partial. All humankind are deserving of death... because a naked lady listened to a talking snake and ate an apple.
  • LeeT
    LeeT
    Deut 10:15
    "But only to your forefathers did Jehovah draw close and express his love, and he has chosen you, their offspring,"

So Jehovah selects a particular group for special favour.
    Just two verses later we read

Deut 10:17
    "F
    or Jehovah your God is the God of gods and the Lord of lords, the God great, mighty, and awe-inspiring, who treats none with partiality and does not accept a bribe"

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/nwt/books/deuteronomy/10/

^^ Spits out coffee and guffaws deeply.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Impartiality is one of Jehovah's endearing qualities.

Ahem...let me tweak that a bit.......

"Not existing is one of Jehovah's endearing qualities."

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Kind of pointless being a deity if you're impartial, really.
  • LeeT
    LeeT
    Ahem...let me tweak that a bit.......
    "Not existing is one of Jehovah's endearing qualities."
    "Not existing is one of Jehovah's enduring qualities."
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Yes even the NT God shows no favoritism yet according to the GB he favors only 144k souls all others are pathetic jonadabs with one foot still stuck in Satan's world. These non favored 144k are to be looked at as kings and then there's even another group that's been exalted to Christ like status call the faithful and discreet slave. These non favored are to be practically worshiped. Yep no favoritism at all in God's organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit