"We the people" to make this wold better?

by supernerdboy 3 Replies latest social current

• supernerdboy
    supernerdboy

[url]https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/we-would-immediate-change-installed-tax-exempt-status-churches/06cCGmzM[/url]

[url]https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/replace-god-official-us-money-mottos-and-slogans/X8cLZn8c[/url]

I voted for these hoping we can get a change and stop the leaches from making this a "christian nation" and not a nation for all people. So do you think these actually help?

• Gopher
    Gopher

As a skeptic and non-believer, I'd love to see an end to the loud love affair between the majority of American politicians and Christian religion. We are diversifying as more people immigrate here, and as more become unchurched and even unbelievers. And I'm in favor of having our voices continue to be heard through groups like the Secular Coalition for America. Because really, when laws favoring a religion or religion in general are enshrined at the state or national level, government loses its neutrality towards religion and therefore everyone becomes a little less free.

So I'm in favor of having our voices heard to say "no more favoritism for religion". And in small ways the pushback is working. I don't think we can stop everyone from having a skewed view of history and spouting the thought that America is a Christian nation. It isn't, and wasn't at the first as was clearly stated in the Treaty of Tripoli in 1797. Yes we are a nation where the majority may currently be labelled Christian, but we are a diverse nation of FREEDOM - freedom to believe or not believe as one wants.

• Sulla
    Sulla

Ah. Yes, of course. Settled for all time by the Treaty of Tripoli, 1797. Muslim pirate kidnapper warlords or somesuch, correct?

• Gopher
    Gopher

The Treaty of Tripoli, signed by president John Adams, said this in 1797:

"the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."

There's not much room for modern-day believers to hope they can spin that into an idea that America was a Christian nation at the very start.

If it was a Christian nation, then there'd be no room here for a wide variety of people with different ideas like Muhammad Ali and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Muslim), George Harrison and Julia Roberts (Hinduism) and an endless list of Jews who made huge contributions to American society in spite of early prejudice and resistance to their very presence on our shores.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit