The deuterocanonical book of Wisdom

by Pterist 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pterist
    Pterist

Having done a little research on the book of wisdom, I decided to read it very morning as part of my daily spiritual reading. The Greek period and it's influence tested the Jewish community and yet after many objections the people of God acquired a new awareness of their own path.

At first I felt a little uneasy as the WISDOM of God is presented in the feminine gender. However the RECOGNISED book of Proverbs (chapter 8) does the same. It showed to me the probable "operations"/ " services" ? within the Godhead as WISDOM is revealed as the breath of the power of God, a pure emanation of the glory of the Almighty. She is a reflection of eternal light, a spotless mirror of Gods actions and an image of his goodness. God loves those who live with Wisdom. so many similarities to Jesus Christ, the eternal life in flesh 1 John 1:1-4, 1 Corinthians 2:1-16

I must admit I fell in LOVE with wisdom as the author aptly expressed his feelings also. Wisdom 8:1-21, 9:1-18.

Thank you for allowing me to share this on the forum under topic "personal experiences" and I'm interested in any similar experiences you might have had with this beautiful book of love or comments.

Shalom

• Sulla
    Sulla

The first reading at my aunt's funeral last week was from Wisdom 3:

The souls of the righteous are in the hands of God, and no torment will ever touch them. In the eyes of the foolish they seemed to have died, and their departure was thought to be a disaster, and their going from us to be their destruction; but they are at peace.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It's a very interesting book, and yes, the Hellenistic influence is quite obvious.

At first I felt a little uneasy as the WISDOM of God is presented in the feminine gender

There is an oracle in Matthew 23:33-38 regarding Jerusalem and Jesus there uses a feminine metaphor of a hen gathering her chicks under her wings. The version of this oracle in Luke divides up the oracle into two pieces (found at Luke 11:49-51 and 13:34-35), and attributes it to the "Wisdom of God".

The book of Wisdom anticipates some of the christological statements about Jesus in the OT, doubtlessly contributing to the cluster of ideas and terms that were later applied to the Son:

Wisdom 7:25-26, 30: "She is the breath of the power of God, pure emanation of the glory of the Almighty....She is the radiance of the eternal light, untarnished mirror of God's power, and image of his goodness, ... over Wisdom evil can never triumph".

John 1:5, 9: "The Word was the true light ... a light that darkness could not overpower".

Colossians 1:15: "He is the image of the unseen God and the firstborn of all creation".

Hebrews 1:3: "He is the radiance of God's glory and the perfect copy of his nature, and upholds all things by the word of his power".

• Pterist
    Pterist

Leolaia, Thank you for confirming the NT findings. I especially like the promise of those seeking ""Her" early morning, she will be waiting at our doors. The beautiful methophers of "Her" filled me with such Peace and Love and admiration that I really did fall in love with "her" just as the author wanted her all for his own as a bride. This Divine Love is above all, and is obviously the environment of Holy Spirit that is in the unity of the Godhead, and IMHO, is the essence of the kingdom of God in Christ that dwells within.

Shalom sister.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit