Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism

by MrFreeze 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Apparently there is this show on BBC called Conspiracy Road Trip. Today was the first time I heard of it. In the creationism episode they go on a road trip with a bunch of creationists and try to get them to see maybe they aren't right. Very interesting to say the least. Here's the episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oju_lpqa6Ug

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The approach was far from ideal. Trying to assist someone to see their own irrationality in core beliefs is not easy. Its imbarrassing, its painful,and it is threatening to their identity and delicate social constructs. The last thing you want to do is have a group of like minded people feel persecuted, or as the one guy called it, bullied. They were not being bullied of course, but being exposed to an opposing view, but it surely felt like being bullied as they were trapped on the road trip and feeling ganged up on. Having the Christians together in a group had disadvantages but some advantages as well. In the concluding woman's comment she could recognise the resistance to the facts others in the group were displaying much faster than she could have recognised it in herself. She was given the opportunity to be objective in observing the irrationality of others. We are good at that. It might have been much more productive for the group to be exposed to another religious group's irrational pseudoscience beliefs and have them attempt to reason with them without resorting to bible quotes. Ask them how it was possible for a person to become so convinced of something that they would disregard their sincere attempts to reason with them......

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Yeah, a method like that isn't going to work normally. However, the one woman did seem to start to reason.

The guy who was crying about being bullied (Phil). I've seen him in several other videos online regarding creationism. I don't think I could stand hanging out with him for more than few minutes.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

It’s amazing to me how someone can be presented with logical scientific evidence and not even considers that perhaps there may be an alternative view when presented with said evidence. Stubborn arrogance.

• Lore
    Lore

It was worth watching just to see the 6ft tall muscular jock accuse the 5ft super-polite nerd of bullying him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit