Twins chose death over blindness

by Monsieur 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

Read a story last night,

Of 45 year old twins that are already deaf and were now going blind. The realization that they could not communicate with each other and their parents in a short time lead them to chose euthanization over the alternative. This happened in Belgium I believe.

I looked at my son after reading this and I felt a DEEP sadness for these twins. I wish I could do something for them. Their picture was on the article.

Man is only flesh and blood, vulnerable, extremely fragile. Its possible to sometimes feel invincible, eternal even. But the fact is, we are incredibly vulnerable to death in all shapes and forms. It will get us in old age eventually if we survive all others.

What, then, leads man to believe that he can act with hatred and violence with one another, and that only he can and has the right to live on?

Is man born with innate goodness or born with innate evil? Where is the appreciation for life?

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

There's millions of ways of being dead, but only one way to be alive.

Put yourself in their position. A life can become not worth living.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

This is the first I'm hearing about this sad story. No words to express myself right now.

• jgnat
    jgnat

More about Marc and Eddy, cobblers. I wonder, being born congenitally deaf, if they had invented their own sign language to communicate amongst themselves. Losing their eyesight then would have meant losing the ability to communicate.

• xchange
    xchange

There is more to the story than the blindness. They had other physical problem - serious problems other than going blind. The media played up the whole going blind thing while ignoring the real issue between the twins.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

I have really mixed feelings about this, but ultimately it is/was their choice. Just imagine not sight AND no hearing. It would be like being in a sensory depravation tank. I might have had to have a "boating accident" as well.

• prologos
    prologos

hellen keller?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit