Question on Parenting........

by on the rocks 7 Replies latest jw friends

• on the rocks
    on the rocks

Whats the most effective way of teaching a 6 yr old on values?

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

By example.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Our children watch US....if WE don't behave the same way we tell them to...they will pick up on it. Be the person you want them to be. Thats the best way to teach them. SHOW them.

If we want our children to be respectful...we must be respectful.

If we want our children to value life...we must value life.

If we want our children to contribute to society...we must contribute to society.

If we want them to be kind...we must be kind to them.

If we want them to be loving...we must be loving.

etc...etc.

• not bitter
    not bitter

I have a 6 yr old. We talk lots about values and how we want to be treated and how we should treat others. Try to get them thinking, ask questions.

Do you have something specific in mind?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Not Bitter...I agree. Communication is key...get them thinking and reasoning for themselves. I have a 20 year old, and 17 year old and a four year old (nearly five). And he asks zillions of questions. Some I try to answer...some I encourage him to try to answer himself. It's amazing how clever they are if you let them be. He never ceases to amaze me, the way he breaks things down and makes sense of the world around him. Kids aren't stupid. They don't need everything spelled out for them. Just the tools to find out themselves.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Still thinking

• jgnat
    jgnat

Through stories. Pause before the conclusion and ask them how they think it should end?

http://kids.nypl.org/reading/recommended_2009.cfm

Children are always watching, so of course your example is key.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I remember when one of mine when he was about 6 stole something from his teacher and hid it at home. I found it and asked him about it. He got uncomfortable and I discovered the truth. I took him to his teacher the next day and asked to see her privately and got him him to own up to her, to return what he'd stolen and to apologise to her. Believe me he was so embarrassed he never tried it again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit