JWs and my church affiliation

by dabster 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dabster
    dabster

This topic would come under "Practices", I suppose. It seems like a practice to me. It is something the JWs I have met - almost all without exception - have wanted to know. Just now a Witness I know has asked in an email, before he answers a few thoughts I ran by him, what my denomination is. What is that about? Surely my church, whatever it is, would be part of Christendom and would be tarred with the same brush as all the others, right? I find this insistence in knowing my particular flavour of Christianity strange, to say the least. Or are some denominations more loathsome than others?

In case any of you are wondering, it's Baptist.

• Satanus
    Satanus

They try to put everyone in belief boxes. Then, they assign that religions or churches beliefs to the person and they have some ideas of their beliefs and think that they know hwo to handle them. Mission accomplished, you have been debunked. Their book, the reasoning book has lists of arguements to use w corresponding religions. You are a member of this or that church first, and a person second.

S

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When you say Baptist, it gives them some ideas where you may be sensitive. It tells them when to tread meekly and when to be more bold.

Pls don't say you are part of Christendom. I am Christian. Their beliefs are not Christian. They are YHWHists. Sadly, they missed out on being ancient Israelites. Someone posted today how rarely they quote the NT.

I live near a Mennonite stronghold. They are sort of Amish. Some denomination here goes up to people and asks, in a friendly manner, what church you attend. I answered. They are disarming in their manner. One you reveal your denomination, I asked and other people ask, "What is yours?" Not that you care at all, but it sounds polite. They respond, "I am a member of the Christian church." I came up with some retort when it happened to me. Somehow I think I have Witness smell on me that attracts crackpots. Several neighbors and my sister have been approached in this manner. Well, they may be Christian but people hate them.

What endorphins are released when they pretend they care about you? Is it a Christian act? WWJD?

• dabster
    dabster

Oh, thanks guys. Your answers are helpful. When I referred to "Christendom" in my post I was speaking as a JW would. In the meantime I have answered the guy, saying "I am, first and foremost, a Christian. All Christians are Christians first and whatever flavour of Christianity they subscribe to second. The church I attend is a Baptist one and is organised in the way the Baptists, well, organise their denomination."

• Satanus
    Satanus

There are many flavors of baptists. Bet, he doesn't know much about the differences between those.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit