Smurfs, Pokemon, how 'bout Star Wars?

by Adam 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Adam
    Adam

The recent thread on Pokemon reminded me of a talk I heard once years ago. An then-brother was giving a talk on being rightous. He recounted the tale of speaking with an older brother when the Star Wars movie first came out (episode 4, not the new ones). The speaker had asked the older brother if he had seen Star Wars yet. The older brother replied "Star Wars, I don't see any movie with the word 'war' in the title." At this point the speaker paused to let this little bit of guilt seep into everyone in the audience. I remember he had this little smirk on his face. He must of felt so holier-than-thou at making the whole congregation realize that they weren't as good of a JW as they thought they were. And the whole congregation soaked it right up with a few nods and murmers of agreement. I wonder, which tactic do you think that the WTBTS uses more to keep it's flock from leaving the fold? The feeling of self-guilt, or feeling of holier-than-thou. I think it's a pretty even mixture of both.

• Smurfagain
    Smurfagain

Holier than you 70%. Self guilt 30 %. Just my opinion! The holiest are God, the organization, society! If I should try another quote then my scores should be like this. The most holy, Watchtower, the true God! 70%. Much better compared with you 30%.
    /Smurfagain

• Xander
    Xander

A few years back, we had a couple COs going around trash talking all sci-fi.

See, the biblical creation account details EVERYTHING god created (except bacteria, viruses....oops, nevermind), and it doesn't mention space aliens. Hence, they don't exist.

Watching programs implying they DO exist is next to apostasy, and no christian in good standing should be allowed to watch these programs.

(And, yes, people were hauled in front of JCs over it - no DFs, IIRC, at least, not in my congregation, but there was a LOT of 'reproving' going on).

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • D8TA
    D8TA

What I find hilarious in all this is; All of this...The Smurfs, Pokemon, Star Wars...etc. It's all FANTASY! Pure creative entertainment birthed from someones IMAGINATION! It's FICTION! None of these apply to REALITY! It NEVER EXISTED or EXISTS in terms of actual history.

People in positions such as PO's, CO's, DO's, GB find anything that threatens their imagination and creativity to be questionable. And they'll exploit it, to cater to there "power needs".

Can you imagine these peoples sex lives???

"Dear, let's make love." -Brother Districtoverbear
    "Yes, lets." -Mrs. Districtoverbear

3 seconds later...

"Good Night Dear" -Brother Districtoverbear
    "Yes, Good Night." -Mrs. Districtoverbear

What an existance...sad, sooooo sad.
    *twirls tongue gauge*

D8TA

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    "Dear, let's make love." -Brother Districtoverbear
    "Yes, lets." -Mrs. Districtoverbear

Wouldn't it be better for them to say, "Mate, let us engage in intercourse, thereby fulfilling the marital due." So much more proper 😜

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit