BBC Panorama program on Scientology...interesting parallels with JWs.

by NVR2L8 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Tonight I watched a program from the BBC that was a follow up for a previous report on Scientology. Several members and leaders have left the cult and they were willing to go on camera and explain how Scientology is a dangerous cult. When I was an active JW I knew that Scientology was a cult but I didn't realize they shared many practices with the JWs. Some of the points that struck me was that like with the WTS, members are not allowed to research other religions, use the internet to research their own religion or even watch TV programs against their church. The other parallel was that people who leave the cult are to be "disconnected" from family and friends that remain in the cult. Like with JWs, families are broken up forever. They use intimidation and blackmail to bring back members to the cult and family members put the blame on the person who is leaving for messing up their lives. There is also the notion of keeping on studying even when you don't fully agree...in time everything becomes clearer. I remember using this phrase with a student who said he would never refuse a blood transfusion to save the life of his children. With Scientology some teachings remain secret until members reach a specific level within their organization. As I was watching I noticed that my JW wife, son and his wife discreetly left the area and pretended to engage in other activities so they didn't have to listen to the program....I guess it was hitting too close to home.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi NVR2L8, It sounds like an interesting and educational program. Isn't cognitive dissonance a wonderful thing in your wife and son? How were you able to watch the program without your wife and son calling you an apostate?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Hello Robert: My daughter who disassociated 15 years ago came for a visit and her and I openly discussed why I was no longer going to the Kingdom Hall. My wife listened in from a distance and I could see that it was bothering her. Later she told me she I disrespected her religion and she didn't want to hear it in her own house...I replied that it was my house to and that I was entitled to express my opinion. She then said that she doesn't talk about her faith in my presence so I should do the same and keep my beliefs to myself. In regards to TV programs I watch, I remember watch a few reports on JW child abuse with her while I was still in. Of course we agreed that shouldn't be watching and but we did because we may have to answer questions in the ministry...we also thought that there were just a few disgruntle ex-JWs who had an axe to grind. On another note...the following link appeared under my opening post...quite powerful for Scientology to have their message available on JWN... Truth About Scientology Scientology.org Think For Yourself and Find Out For Yourself

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit