Company Christmas Party experience

by thecrushed 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

So I went to my employer's Christmas party recently. For the first time I felt completely at ease with normal people. I'm blessed to have an employer who understands my situation and is also a sceptic like me raised in a very devoit RCC imigrant family. He employs mostly hispanics accept for me and a few others. We had such a great time and one co-worker of mine kept us in stitches the whole time so much so that my face was sore from all the laughing! The hispanic familes I met were so accepting, warm and friendly I was floored at the feelings I was having! This one particular hispanic who is old enough to be my dad and barely able to speak english gave me a warm loving family type hug as I left for the night and said I was a good friend. He was a little tipsy but you could tell he really meant it. I just thought I'd share this for those that maybe still are nervous about worldly people.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Yeah the whole "worldly people are evil and selfish" thing that the JW's pounded into our head wasn't really true, was it?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

What? No drunken orgy that turns into a gunfight?

• stillin
    stillin

nobody's head got chopped off?

I enjoyed a "drop-in" party this year, too. No prob. Just everyday people enjoying everyday food and drink

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Sounds like a wonderful experience! Glad you went.

Thanks for sharing.

00DAD

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

We had to private pay to have a Christmas party at the law firm. The last paid one caused an ugly divorce. Women told me not to give the guys any money b/c not a single female lawyer was asked to dance.

Finally, the name partner retired. Everyone was so psyched for an employer party. Lawyers travelled the halls begging other lawyers to behave. All was peaceful until a secretary danced with a mail room clerk. Her nonemployee boyfriend burst into the room and a melee started. Tables and plates went through the air. Hotel security called the New York Police Department. The firm was banned from any brach of the hotel. We achieved the same status of the WHO.

Ha!

I always thought worldly people were nice. They had much better manners than Witnesses.

• zeb
    zeb

I have attended quite few down the years and they are and end of year thing rather than a 'Christmas' party. and yes, many there will wish you a happy christmas as that is the local thing to do and also as the companies were closing down until the new year had arrived.

I have also attended a few jw weddings that were chaotic as everyone bought along their little kids. Where groups of small boys spent the time sliding up and down in the (hired) hall being rowdy. The same boys were into the food before thanks had been said and with no manners either.

The worst i saw was a mother changing her baby on the bridal table. Only at a jw wedding!

• blondie
    blondie

I remember going to a company xmas party as a child with my aunts and uncles. We sang songs on the stage with live music. I loved it. But that was long ago. My family parties were mixed jws/non-jws and we had a good time. Christmas doesn't make you loving, it enhances the good qualities people already have.

If the person is a drunk/alcoholic 364 days a year they will be on the 365, etc.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

No official Christmas party for the store I work for. However, I pitched in for one of the departments I work for (whose leader is big on Christmas). On Sunday morning, I had 3 eGear 30-Day Lanterns wrapped up in Christmas bags (which I brought in at the beginning of my shift that day, at 11:30 PM Saturday night). I placed them on the desk, and one of them was for the department leader who was excited to get it. (I "tampered" with them by inserting batteries, which were not included with the lanterns.) The other 2 were sitting on the desk waiting for the recipients to show up--the assistant leader and one of the other strong workers got the others.

The leader of that department showed up at 4:30 in the morning. Upon seeing the lantern, she was surprised at finding them lined up on the desk. Those things are perfect for taking out on the patio, going out in the garage--or, as I have been so reminded from storms and philo-Semitism in Washington, DC, blackouts. The assistant had a routine blackout the day before receiving one of those things, which would have come in handy.

Monday morning. The department leader showed up at 7:30 in the morning with a load of presents for people in the department. I got a gift card for a competing supermarket (I never shop where I work). There were plenty of other gifts for everyone else in the department, and none for those outside who have a track record of ruining everything that anyone tries doing storewide. Needless to say, there were no heads chopped off, no fights, no gunshots, and no one pushing and shoving. Just surprises, and 3 more people that have "paddles" when the lights go out for whatever reason. Now, if they can locate battery chargers and rechargeable low-self discharge NiMH D cells for these lights, they will be set for a good long time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit