At what point do you just take advantage?

by HintOfLime 6 Replies latest jw friends

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

It is easy really. It is easy to identify people who want something. As a business person, you learn to identify the needs in a crowd and think about how you can supply them with a product. Looking at this forum as a businesman - there are people here that are desperate.

So, my question is - Is it ethical?

If I but wanted to - I could create a new forum name, a new identiy, and a new perspctive through a proxy - and supply a product.

Others do it, right now- and they are permitted. It is easy to do, and hell - they don't even do a good job at it honestly. They suck at it, and I know a lot smart people that could make gold if we but wanted.

But is it ethical to do so here?

At what point does "a fool and their money are soon parted" stop being unethical, and just make good sense?

- Lime

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

When it is a vulnerability that you are taking advantage of, especially if they are not aware of it. Otherwise it is just business.

When a business exploits unfairly and then disadvantages the needy it is exploitation and therefore unethical. imo

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The difference between business and religion is the lack of ethics in the latter.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle
    It is easy really. It is easy to identify people who want something. As a business person, you learn to identify the needs in a crowd and think about how you can supply them with a product. Looking at this forum as a businesman - there are people here that are desperate.
    So, my question is - Is it ethical?

~~~~

Interesting question. It depends on what you are you selling. Are you selling self-defense classes to a victim of an assault? How would that be unethical? Unless the service you're providing is bogus.

So, I think it would depend on what your business is and what product you would be supplying.

~~~~~

If I but wanted to - I could create a new forum name, a new identiy, and a new perspctive through a proxy - and supply a product.
    Others do it, right now- and they are permitted.

And what is being sold. Why is it permitted? How do YOU know?

But is it ethical to do so here?
    At what point does "a fool and their money are soon parted" stop being unethical, and just make good sense?

I guess it becomes unethical when you consider the person a fool.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

I think you are overestimating your own business savvy. One way I know this is that you even felt a need to ask this question.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I don't know why it would be wrong to identify a market, analyze their needs and then attempt to create a business meeting those needs. Unless it's illegal, or you are selling snake oil to desperate people? Lying to customers is unethical, I think it's unethical to try to sell stuff without disclosing everything a person needs to make a good decision. Tell your prices right up front, for instance. I always suspect sites that won't tell me the price of an item until I put it in the shopping basket.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I see nothing wrong w identifying a need and filling it. Creating a desire and then filling it is a little different. It can be manipulation. Not delivering what is promised, or promising something or selling something that you know is harmful is wrong, imo. It's like the crack dealer. He's selling something he knows is harmful, even though addicts really want it. He can use the reasoning that someone else will do it, if he doesn't, so why not? Same w people easily manipulated. Cuz you know that another manipulator will come along and manipulate them, does that make it ok for you to do so?

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit