Seeking, Searching

by Satanus 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Are you a seeker? I know that i was, after l left the wt. I used to get recurring dreams of me flying around obstacles, looking and searching for something, i think it was home, or a place to belong or an ultimate truth. I used to visit certain same familiar sites, repeatedly. I eventually had an experience that brought an end to that, thank dog. Delusion or whatever.

On the other hand, perhaps the idea of needing to look for something was the delusion, a faulse, implanted need. You know how that works: you are contentedly puttering along when a tv commercial grabs your attention, bypasses your critical thinking and convinces you that there is something that you desperately need, something that 5 minutes ago you didn't even know existed. But, now you desire it.

Christianity has a similar mechanism: it implants the idea that the average person is not complete, or ok the way he is. No, he/she is a sinner and NEEDS. Needs, needs, needs. Naturally christianity has the cure for that - jesus. You feel relief that jesus died so you don't have to. BUT, there's a but. Now, you can't be yourself, anymore, cuz jesus BOUGHT you. You need to try to be like jesus. So, you haven't really found yourSELF. You found jesus, instead.

Also, a LOT of movies are endless seeking in the form of chaces, and those being chaced running away. So tiring.

Are you still seeking, or have you found?

S

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Satanus wrote:

You need to try to be like jesus. So, you haven't really found yourSELF.

That is one reason why I am upset that I succumbed to the pressure applied to me by evangelical Christians 17 years ago and wasted those 17 years trying to be like Jesus. I stunted my growth and am less mature than I should be for my age. Abandoning the Christian worldview has been an important step in my development as an individual. I am back to asking the kinds of questions I asked as a young person when people and things would perplex me - questions like, "Why is that person doing what he/she is doing? Why is this aspect of the world the way it is?" without the pressure to only think things that fellow religionists accept.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Glad you are free to ask those questions, again.

S

• poppers
    poppers

Very astute observation, Satanus. People search and search and search never realizing that what they are searching for they already have.

• Satanus
    Satanus

'they already have.'

Thanks, poppers. That's what i found out, and glad i did. Christianity robs people of that. I would say that blocking people from discovering truth about themselves causes a cognitive dissonence.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit