Anyone ever know any Palmers from London UK?

by NoRegrets 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Just wondering if any of you ever knew any Londoners with that surname. One of them moved around doing construction work at several European branches and eventually moved to the US. PM me if anyone wants and did know any of them. One of them was at one time one of my best JW best friends. NR

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

bumping this just in case

• moshe
    moshe

Interesting history about the Palmer surname-

It is one of the sizeable group of early European surnames that were gradually created from the habitual use of personal descriptions or characteristics. The derivation, in this instance, is from the pre 10th century Old French, "palmer or paumier", and derives from assumed or perhaps in some cases, actual, pilgrimages or crusades to the Holy Land. Such pilgrims, who often wore suits of armour and carried some very unfriendly weapons, generally brought back a palm branch as proof that they had actually made the journey. A quotation from a medieval writer reads, "The faded palm-branch in his hand, showed the pilgrim from the Holy Land". In its various spellings this was one of the earliest of all surnames.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Palmer#ixzz2G4ql14XY

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Very interesting Moshe!

• bigmac
    bigmac

my first wife---a born-in----eventually remarried a much older man--his surname was palmer--from kent i think.

he passed away earlier this year.

• Nambo
    Nambo

All through high school I never learnt much because I was allways thinking of a girl called Thelma who had this surname, that was in South London but she wasnt a dub.

First girl I ever asked out, bought tickets to see an Alex Harvey concert, but of course by 16, a pretty girl is allready spoken for.

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Not the same crew I guess. Thanks for the input, though!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit