Does it matter what kind of keyboard you type on?

by littlerockguy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I have been typing on the same keyboard for almost 17 years and I'm so used to it I don't want to go to another kind of keyboard if anything happens to this one.

In fact I have a backup model of the same keyboard since they are so hard to find. It's the old IBM Model M keyboard. I love the sound of the feedback and the racket it makes compared to the newer keyboards. I can't believe how much they are going for on ebay these days!

If you do a lot of typing in your life these are awesome!. I got mine hooked up to my imac however I cannot use the Control-C to copy and Control-V to paste on my keyboard and I have to use the mouse to do those commands, it's worth being hooked up to my mac when I am doing transcription at home once in a while. Do you have a favorite style of keyboard?

LRG

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am dating myself. The old IBM Selectric typewriters had the best keyboards in my opinion. They keys had springs on them. I could type much faster than on a computer keyboard. It was better in ergonomic terms. I use laptops so I don't have my choice. There is such a difference in the feel. Computer keyboards are so flat.

If I were typing all day, I would spring for the best desktop pc and keyboard made.

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

Personally, I prefer lower keys with very little feedback... It allows me to type much, much faster than on a larger keyboard. Also from a speed perspective, QWERTY keyboards are designed specifically to slow down your typing, so bleh... Though it's hard to find anything else.

I do know what you mean, though. I grew up with one of those keyboards (or one very, very similar). They're nice.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi LRG,

I had a keyboard many years ago that looked kind of like yours. It was a Northgate and I loved the feel / click. Also the function keys in two columns on the left which I used for AutoCAD. Unfortunately, that one bit the dust as it couldn't cohabit with later computers and I opted to buy ($9.95) one of the "natural" keyboards a dozen years ago. It doesn't have the click that I like but I love the "natural" slanted key positions. It's tough to type on an ordinary keyboard since.

Len

• Simon
    Simon

There's nothing like a bent-spring mechanical keyboard to type on.

I have a 'das keyboard' which has the same type buttons and lovely tactile feedback. Definitely recommended.

See: http://www.daskeyboard.com/

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I have been using laptops for the last 10 years but that first key board brought back memories.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

My older Dell laptop 17" had a much nicer feel to the keyboard than my HP laptops.

I agree with the others, though the FEEL of the IBM selectric and keyboards can't be matched. They (IBM) spent a LOT of time listening to the best typists during design. I actually knew one of the IBM engineers who spent his ENTIRE career at IBM on keyboard ergonomics and improving speed.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

no, they all put the same words on the screen.

oz

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I love my Apple-style keyboards. The keys are very low so they require less travel to press and very comfortable as they still have the mechanical spring in them.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

For computer keyboards, the collapsing-spring IBM ones are tops. They have good feel and solid tactile feed-back. I used to have one at work, but after eleven years and three computers I finally killed it (a coffee spill, not wear-out). The "pro grade" HP workstation keyboard is better than they give you with home PCs, but it lacks the rock-solid feel of the IBM.

Yes, it does make a difference. Especially so if you use one all day for writing code, typing specifications, and so forth. It also makes a difference that it can "take a licking and keep on clicking"; some of the fancy "ergonomic" designs just won't hold up like the beefy IBM keyboards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit