Bethel or HQ Employees: Your Outlooks

by Cold Steel 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I read another post about Bethel employees who complained about the food and was surprised there were so many here.

It struck me as odd that those in the belly of the beast, so to speak, had some of the attitudes they had. Tell me, if you worked there, what type of work were you doing? Volunteer work? And what's the difference between Bethel and the Brooklyn, N.Y., Office? Doesn't it refer to zones within the organization?

How many of you actually worked at Headquarters, or were able to meet, see or talk to Governing Board members? If you did have access to your church authorities, did you have a great deal of respect for them? Were they good, decent, honorable men?

Some of you older guys and gals may remember Ross Perot. When I worked at NIH years ago, I ran into one of our managers who had once worked for Perot, someone I had voted for as President. I asked her if he was a kook, as some had maintained, or whether he was made of sterner stuff. She replied that as a person, Perot was one of the greatest men she'd ever known. She didn't know much about his politics, but she said he ran his business well. Two of his people were kidnapped by Iranians after the Revolution, and when the U.S. government didn't do anything about it, he put together some professional soldiers who went in and got them out at a great cost to Perot. She also said that if he learned that any of his employees had a health or wealth problem, that he would go see them, find a nearby office and do everything he could for them, including finding doctors and following up with flowers and visits. His loyalty to his people, she continued, was something she'd never seen before or since, and she never heard of anyone fired just before retirement age or for more niggardly reasons.

So I wondered how the GB members were when dealing with employees at HQ? I'd like to hear any positive or negative stories. What kind of work went on there and who did most of the writing, employees or the general authorities? Who did the layout and where were the publications printed and distributed from? Did/do members of the GB go out of their way to succor and protect the employees lower on the foodchain?

Just curious. Also, who has the most authority?

• ronwashington
    ronwashington

From reading this board, I think Barb Anderson is the person you want to talk to. I think she was the closest to that inner circle you are wondering about.

I didn't really interact directly with the GB except for that time Brother Sydlik took my seat during morning worship. Most of the new GB members are all former District Overseers who were asked to work for the branch and then invited to the GB. I'm pretty sure being a giant controlling, stone cold asshole is the key requirement to being a DO, so that should tell you about the new GB.

Your last paragraph has a lot of questions and I'm not about to write 50 paragraphs to answer

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Cold Steel,

I only have a few minutes today, but if you ask your relatives some of these questions I believe it will help them to reason more clearly about the religion. They should be willing to "witness" to you because they can "count time". Perhaps asking questions based on what you read here will shake them up a bit.

Last time I looked their seemed to be about 70-80 EX- Bethel members on the site. The Branch offices ,factories, and "Bethel Homes" are all over the world. Brooklyn was the headquarters however over many years much of the work migrated to Patterson. All the larger housing facilities are usually called "Bethel".

I think the biggest surprise for the "volunteers" who go to work at the facilities is the lack of Christlike qualities in the leadership. Like many social groups, "alpha Males" climb to the top by hook or crook.

Just put "Bethel" in the Search box, and then visit JW documents and read Barbra Andersons story.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

“The cleaning crew went through me albums while I was working...damn snoops turned me in to the home overseer ... they were most upset over the images on my Pink Floyd Album, The Wall. They asked my what I planned to do with them. I asked them what they wanted me to do with them since I never [listened] to them (my record player was broken). They said I had to decide what to do to with them and then let them know.” —Biff McFly

Really? I suppose their point was, we’re going to tell you what you did wrong and we’re going to let you decide to do the right thing...or else! What would have happened next had you not done the right thing and hid them? Seriously, you had a few options. You could have sent them home, or to someone else, to hold for you while you were away...or you could have destroyed the albums and burned the jacket...or you could have kept the albums and burned the jacket. If it was the images only, would they have objected to the albums? Anyway, as the Chad Mitchell Trio noted: “If Mommy is a Commie, then you’ve got to turn her in!”

BTW, did the cleaning crews have the authority to snoop on residents? When you signed whatever agreement you signed, did you surrender your rights to privacy? What if you’d had a safe, would they have objected to that?

“I think what is often forgotten is that JWs are constantly reminded that this is God's organization! So, you expect much from the so-called House of God (Bethel).” —JoePublisher1

Which brings up a thought. What happens if someone honestly questions the church at Bethel? Also, if you see GB members in a library, the lunch room or in the hallway, are you free to speak to them or are you told not to speak to them? In some companies or corporations, you’re told not to even make eye contact with top executives. But let’s say one speaks to you first and then you ask, “By the way, Brother Jones, anciently the Lord spoke through apostles via the Holy Spirit. Is the church still led that way in our time? Even though there are no more apostles, we do have a General Body. Do they have the same sort of inspiration as the ancient apostles?”

Would you be disciplined or would the brother try to explain the answer? In short, how large was the rift between the rank and file employee or volunteer and the upper crust?

“My most disturbing Bethel experience was when my husband hooked up with someone else’s wife and I was not allowed to sit in on the judicial meetings to hear what he had to say or to keep him honest about the nature of our relationship. And then how he wasn’t disfellowshipped, although he never asked me to take him back and clearly told me of his intention to be with her.” —Mocha Latte

This is an amazing story. A man who commits adultery and then isn’t “cut off,” or excommunicated. Especially when he finds solace in the arms of a married woman! Add to that that you have no input into the case makes it even worse. Did they attempt to take any action against you, and what kind of divorcement agreement did you make? Did the church decide your alimony or did you go before a civil judge?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit