Which logical fallacy is being used here by this Jehovah's Witness responder?

by I_love_Jeff 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AjkX.YGxLhReVZUcyAbujrPty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20121217130952AAK8L6h

The Responder is Bar-Anerges (a popular JW responder on YA) and he is using a common fallacy or perhaps more than one in his response to the question. Will someone please assist me in narrowing down which one/s he may be using. I think one would be false dilemma. What do you guys/gals think? Let me know if the link does not work, I will gladly copy and paste the response here. Thank you for your help in this matter.

• Witness My Fury
  • Tater-T
    Tater-T

So the fact remains, Witnesses do not avoid answering any question no matter how "difficult." We just avoid perverse and slanderous individuals who have proved themselves to be vile apostates

translation.. any thing we don't want to answer is apostate

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

Appeal to Ridicule, perhaps...tahnks Witness My Fury

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

Appeal to Spite sounds about right

• cofty
    cofty

Perhaps illustrate yourt point with a specific question they always avoid.

He/she refers to their "current understanding" that might give you a start. Why were people DFd for questioning prvious understandings that turned out to be wrong after all?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

TATER: any thing we don't want to answer is apostate

PLUS. . . . . anything they CAN'T answer is apostate, too!

Doc

• Darth Eowyn
    Darth Eowyn

Abernathy the Dull writes this:

1) You claim JWs "seem" to have pre-recorded answers for everything. You are using weasel words, and it's not true since most JWs here write out the answers, and don't have pre-recorded responses.

Wow...just....wow. I've been in Y!A on and off for years and if it's one thing I can count on from the JWs it's the copy/paste answers right out of the Watchtower CD-ROM. And this guy has been around in Answers for a long time, too. I think he and Bar are 'elders'.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Hmmm... argument from stupid comes to mind. More specifically (with just one example of each)...

Hasty generalisation - "opposers of the Witnesses just present nonsense over and over again and have nothing better to offer than personal opinion"

Ad hominem - "perverse and slanderous individuals who have proved themselves to be vile apostates"

Bald-faced lies - "they know they have no evidence to refute our real beliefs"

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Yes. This is just like in Jesus' day. If they see that you're right per the Bible and the WTS is clearly wrong, then they think it looks that way because of the power of demonic influence and the great power of Satan.

Witnesses in the truth a long time has lost total objectivity. They don't compare what the Bible says to what the WTS teaches and if they can see there is a contradiction, they are instructed not to "run ahead" and wait until Jehovah corrects it through the organization. It is not up to them to ever question the WTS, even if they are wrong.

I had a detailed discussion of some things with a cousin of mine who is an elder. He basically followed by reasoning but imagined that the WTS had answers to all of this, so he didn't have to come up with any. So they pretend they are not smart enough to recognize a false teaching any more, nor do they care. Their golden calf is being a faithful, active witness, right or wrong. If it looks like the Watchtower is false, then it's a Satanic deception. They think the WTS has an answer for everything, so they don't have to come up with anything themselves or do their own thinking. They are in darkness, and the love the darkness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit