2012 Best Year Ever....Agree or Disagree

by LostGeneration 2 Replies latest jw friends

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I won't paste the whole article, you can find it here:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-week/leading-article/8789981/glad-tidings/

A few quotes though -

It may not feel like it, but 2012 has been the greatest year in the history of the world. That sounds like an extravagant claim, but it is borne out by evidence. Never has there been less hunger, less disease or more prosperity. The West remains in the economic doldrums, but most developing countries are charging ahead, and people are being lifted out of poverty at the fastest rate ever recorded. The death toll inflicted by war and natural disasters is also mercifully low. We are living in a golden age.

Advances in medicine and technology mean that people across the world are living longer. The average life expectancy in Africa reached 55 this year. Ten years ago, it was 50. The number of people dying from Aids has been in decline for the last eight years. Deaths from malaria have fallen by a fifth in half a decade.

Do you agree or not?

Personally, I do. Considering the incredible population strain on the earth, more people live better lives, for longer periods.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

No I don't agree. If you are in the top 1-5% bracket, ok. But for the rest of us, no! Your 'evidence' is wrong on so many levels. Reading MSM for meaningful news analysis is just messed up! I personally expect the slow grind downward to continue... Let me guess. You still have a decent job with benefits like health insurance... Please take off the rose-colored glasses for a few minutes and look around.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Look at things worldwide. Look at life expectancy, poverty levels (not rich vs poor bs), and the technological goods that are available to a much wider segment of the population.

Finally, tell me when in history you would have rather lived?

Yes I have a job, and yes I bust my ass. And I have a side business, and I bust my ass on that too. And my results come from me building my own rose colored glasses and put them on each day, knowing that success comes from the inside out, not the other way around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit