can anyone translate the words on the tablet?

by maisha 9 Replies latest jw friends

• maisha
    maisha

textonimage-

wp_E_20130201

• still thinking
    still thinking

Looks almost like strange math....

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

It looks similar to the 10 commandments in ancient Hebrew.

pseudo

• Splash
    Splash

Well done Pseudo - you nailed it. Splash

• maisha
    maisha

Yea interesting, however it is NOT the same,, maybe my eyes are blurred?... which line do you feel is identical?.

i realise that is their intention to portray the ten commandments, however it does NOT match

therefore can anyone translate this?

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

It says "I wandered in the desert for 40 years, and all I got was this lousy rock"

Here's an ancient Hebrew alphabet chart. It may help to decipher what it says.

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/28_chart.html

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Here's an exhaustive list of charts to the Aramaic alphabet. Some writing styles appear a little different than others.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=moz35&va=aramaic+chart

• still thinking
    still thinking

No they don't look the same to me either...but similar. Good luck figuring it out. Let us know what it says if you do...

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Yea interesting, however it is NOT the same,, maybe my eyes are blurred?... which line do you feel is identical?.

i realise that is their intention to portray the ten commandments, however it does NOT match

therefore can anyone translate this?

Maisha,

I won’t attempt to translate it, because it would be very time consuming to acquire the knowledge required to properly do the job.

I will however attempt to show how the first line in the Watchtower image corresponds to the third line in my image and how both correspond to Modern Hebrew.

First, here is a side by side comparison of the first line in the Watchtower image, the third line in my image and the first line of an image depicting the Modern Hebrew version:

Now, using Wikipedia, here is the Modern Hebrew, the corresponding Paleo-Hebrew and the corresponding characters from the Watchtower image.

If you will notice, the main difference is that the fifth (right to left) character (Tsadi) in the Watchtower text is considerably different from the Paleo-Hebrew text. There are probably a couple of reasons for this difference.

1. The Watchtower made a mistake (which I highly doubt)

2. It is a variant of the letter Tsadi

3. It is a variant spelling for that particular Hebrew word

As far as I know, translation of ancient texts is not as an exact science as one would hope for. Just a quick glance at Wikipedia’s page on the Hebrew alphabet shows the stylistic variants for each letter. This combined with the various media and writers styles is going to result in some marked differences.

It is also interesting to note that the cursive form of Tsadi in Modern Hebrew is very close to the letter in question in the Watchtower image.

pseudo

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Maisha,

Also in answer to your question:

which line do you feel is identical?

Lines 2 and 3 in the Watchtower image are identical to lines 4 and 5 in my image.

pseudo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit