Went to a rock concert where we used to go to the D.C.s.

by RoosterMcDooster 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• RoosterMcDooster
    RoosterMcDooster

We are not far from the facilities that they use for the D.C.s, but this was the first time we went there since a D.C. My wife asked me if it made me feel weird to be going to a rock concert here. It didn't bother me a bit, but I did notice something I thought was interesting. When we used to go to the D.C.s there was so much hype about how much "better" we were than the other users of the facility. As, in well behaved, orderly, not rowdy, safe from crime etc. So I have to admit I wasn't sure what to expect after being conditioned to think that way. I envisioned a rowdy crowd, pushing and shoving, obnoxious people, mabey a few muggings, perhaps some fights. I have to say, I was much more comfortable at the concert. People were friendly and orderly, parking was much easier, nobody "bothered" us. Of course there were some obvious differences, nobody wore suits, most men had beards and everybody drank alot of beer. It was a bit of a continuation of sureal moments for me as I discover that the world isn't really full of wicked, evil people out to get me at every turn. There are a lot of good people out there. And I hope to make many good friends.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    There are a lot of good people out there. And I hope to make many good friends.

With that kind of attitude, yu definitely will!

• RoosterMcDooster
    RoosterMcDooster

Thanks Jamiebowers, I really appreciate that! For 20 years we were told we shouldn't have any friends outside the org, and then slowly finding out we had no friends inside the org it's hard to start over. So, thanks I needed that.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes sir.... It is a WT exaggeration to say that worldly functions are rowdy and dangerous places...

As I was fading fast a few years back, a fellow dub told me his experience taking his son to a Rod Stewart stadium gig a few miles away. This is a huge facility. He said that he, like you, was apprehensive expecting a rowdy crowd that gave no consideration for anybody else - but he was surprised and pleased to find an orderly arrangement with people queing politely for things [ I guess he was not standing right in front of the stage!] .

Personally, I have always enjoyed going to live music , usually much smaller ones with some intimacy but bigger ones too. The world ain't half as bad as it is painted!

Reminds me of a time, back in the day when we had evening sessions at conventions. I was on my own at that one so I snuck away one night and went instead to a gig in town...much more fun!

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I went to an MMA event about six months ago in the place we used have our DCs. It was the first time I had been there since the last DC I attended there. It definitely sent chills up my spine.

• RoosterMcDooster
    RoosterMcDooster

BluesBrother, that is one of the several exaggerations I am un-learning. It's not easy, and I wonder what other after-effects are still lingering within me. Anyway it was a good show, and my wife REALLY enjoyed it. And when she is happy, I am happy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit