OK to study the Bible alone?

by Disposable Hero 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Disposable Hero
    Disposable Hero

[i] "From time to time, there have arisen from among the ranks of Jehovah's
    people those, who, like the original Satan, have adopted an independent,
    faultfinding attitude...They say that it is sufficient to read the Bible
    exclusively, either alone or in small groups at home. But, strangely, through
    such 'Bible reading,' they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines
    that commentaries by Christendom's clergy were teaching 100 years ago..."
    The Watchtower, August 15, 1981.[i/]

If people were to only study God by "Bible reading", would those people come to the same conclusions as the Governing Body of the witnesses? And I also ask why would God go through the trouble of just having a handful of people (gov. body)knowing the deeper things of the Bible, when the Bible was written for all men?

You lie so much you believe yourself
    Judge not lest ye be judged yourself

• willy_think
    willy_think

Hi Disposable Hero,
    welcome to JW. com, I hope to read more of your posts.
    Your questions are valid and you will find your answers.
    You are on your way to the truth about the truth.

The Great and Powerful Oz:

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
  • Disposable Hero
    Disposable Hero

But I thought that the WTS had the truth....not.
    I know the truth about the truth. I was just posting a thread that would maybe give people some questions to think about. That's all.

You lie so much you believe yourself
    Judge not lest ye be judged yourself

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Before Gutenberg invented the printing press in 1440 A.D. there were hand written copies of the Bible mainly owned by churches and monasteries. Not everyone even owned a copy. Only the educated could read. Most people had to be content with the readings of the Scriptures they heard in church. With the printing presses the Bible became more accessible to everyone. Then it came into the hands of the commoner. Along with that came religious books, commentaries, tracts, etc. purporting to explain it. People got along fine until the Watchtower Society came along in 1878 and said no one else's explanation was good enough. It alone had all the truth and answers.
    So don't read the Bible by itself and don't read other churches' explanations either. I say baloney. The Watchtower Society doesn't have a monoply on the Holy Spirit, nor on the truth. As James 1:5 tells us: "Any of you who lacks wisdom must ask God, who gives to all generously and without scolding; it will be given." He said to ask God, not the Watchower Society!

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

“All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17 NWT)

I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and that anointing is real, not counterfeit--- just as it has taught you, remain in him” (1 John 2:26-27 NIV)

Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them because if you do you will save both yourself and your hearers.” (1 Timothy 4:16 NIV)

Just my 2 cents--
    well, since it's scripture, I guess you could say God's 2 cents

When studying the Bible makes you believe 'christendoms'[ie:true christianity] doctrines, thats just the most horrible thing in the world[8>]!

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

The more I study on my own, the more I find that the WT has wrong. I'm beginning to think "Christendo" may be closer to the truth than they are

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit