The Truth Does Set One FREE!!!

by fedup 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fedup
    fedup

We all can find comfort in writings, books, commentaries, magazines, etc... that make us think and reason intelligently and sometimes, set us FREE from ridiculous traditions. What's funny is that the famous quote in the subject line is from the bible and applies to itself.

When many of us (JWs) read COC from Raymond Franz, we learnt that we don't have to go too far to find the hypocrisy and the incredible lies that discredit the WT, he actually used the WT publications to tear apart the org and comfort and free many of us from the chains that we lived with in the JW world.

I just read The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine, this book does to the bible what COC did to the WT. What a great read! I wish I would have read this YEARS ago. This book was written over 200 years ago, what I can say is that the writer had BALLS. He questioned ALL authority, and with reason. I'm sure many of you read this, but I haven't really seen many references of this and I wish I would have. There are so many points in this book that are right on the money. He uses the bible to discredit itself.

Here's one quote below that starts off part 2 of the book.

"IT has often been said, that anything may be proved from the Bible, but before anything can be admitted as proved by the Bible, the Bible itself must be proved to be true; for if the Bible be not true, or the truth of it be doubtful, it ceases to have authority, and cannot be admitted as proof of anything. - Thomas Paine - The Age of Reason, 1795

Do any of you have any comments on this book??

• blondie
    blondie

I have not read it yet, fedup. I have been watching documentaries on the Founding Fathers and their religious beliefs. There was a segment on Thomas Paine and how many people today have no idea what he really believed...I didn't.

http://www.deism.com/images/theageofreason1794.pdf

All the tales of miracles, with which the Old and New Testament are filled, are fit only for impostors to preach and fools to believe.”
    ? Thomas Paine , The Age Of Reason

• fedup
    fedup

Blondie, I couldn't put it down, it's about 150 pages.

Thanks for adding the link

• BetterResurrection
    BetterResurrection

But what is the truth?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit