Why I no longer believe the WTS

by emperorslaundrist 8 Replies latest jw friends

• emperorslaundrist
    emperorslaundrist

The light came on for me while I was re-reading this fantastic blog:

http://narcissists-suck.blogspot.com/2006/08/youve-been-brainwashedpart-two.html

My favorite part:
    "Cult members were hand-chosen by her. They were expected to be mere supplicants to her great wisdom. They must submit to her definitions of them. They must hang on her every word. They must listen to her shifting definitions of morality and incorporate them into every day life. Of course, what is right one day is wrong the next which is very unbalancing to your mind and keeps the narcissist in control. Hers is the voice of the Holy Spirit....to not act like you believe that to be true will result in harsh penalties. She took up more and more control of their everyday lives."

After reading this I quickly read grabbed my study magazines to see for myself. Here's what I observed:

-They violate boundaries. Where does Jehovah and Jesus end and they begin? Jehovah's will and their will are indistinguishable.

-They violate boundaries with their members: Everything that gives money/time/resources to the org= GOOD
    Everything that takes money/time/resources away from the org= Bad

-They show no true remorse or gratitude.

-They surround themselves with genuinely good people to prop up their grandiose image.

Here are a list of traits from the DSM IV - how many have you seen?

-Reacting to criticism with anger, shame, or humiliation
    -Taking advantage of others to reach their own goals
    -Exaggerating their own importance, achievements, and talents
    -Imagining unrealistic fantasies of success, beauty, power, intelligence, or romance
    -Requiring constant attention and positive reinforcement from others
    -Becoming jealous easily
    -Lacking empathy and disregarding the feelings of others
    -Being obsessed with oneself
    -Pursuing mainly selfish goals
    -Trouble keeping healthy relationships
    -Becoming easily hurt and rejected
    -Setting goals that are unrealistic
    -Wanting "the best" of everything
    -Appearing unemotional

Having only a few of these traits is normal. Having all of these traits is a problem.

Can I really trust these folks to make my spiritual decisions for me? If I had children?

______

A lot of things that used to puzzle me make more sense now.

Why did I see a higher % of Narcissists in kingdom halls then the general population?

Why were the most dedicated ones I knew us looking so burnt out and miserable, when they should have been spiritually refreshed?

Why was it that most witnesses I knew were totally clueless about the obvious predatory humans in their midst? (My "current truth" is that the ones who could see pathology ran like hell from this organization. Most most of my friends and family who are in have at least one abusive parent. Apparently when a person is raised by an abuser they tend to not see it as an adult. Which, makes me think the stuff about this being a pedo's paradise and finding people with the "right heart condition" *shudders*)
    ______

Lest the reader believe I've been deceived by Satan's worldly philosophy- the only reason I believed the stuff I read about personality disorders is because the bible dedicates a lot of space to defining evil. The similarity between the observations of bible writers and the psych-community are uncanny.

For example, I fell of my chair when I read Ps 58:3
    "The wicked ones have been perverts from the womb;
    They have wandered about from the belly onward;
    They are speaking lies."
    Because I had just read Dr. Robert Hare's controversial theory that some psychopaths seem to be born that way.

Now that I see it, I don't think my mind can ever go back.

Hope this was helpful. G'night all :)

• clarity
    clarity

Goodnite Emp ........ sweet dreams, tomorrow is another day,

and many more after that ..... no armageddon, no threat, no

selling magazines ....you have the power now

clarity

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Good OP, thanks!

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Great post !

• emperorslaundrist
    emperorslaundrist

a part of my mind is free but I can see I still use black and white thinking,

false confidence and authority,

their language,

I haven't looked at my belief in God or in the bible

Thank you so much for being kind and patient with me

Next post will be my notes from the new CO talks, unless that has already been covered

• BroMac
    BroMac

welcome, nice post.

the first CO talk is give us your money (dressed up as sacrifices) depending on the CO and their own outlook it can be in your face or toned down.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration
    -They violate boundaries. Where does Jehovah and Jesus end and they begin? Jehovah's will and their will are indistinguishable.

A very valid observation. Recently they wrote something to the effect of "The words of the WT are based on the God's word, so we should view them as coming from God himself" Maybe someone can pull the exact quote but in effect they are equating the WT to the bible.

-They violate boundaries with their members: Everything that gives money/time/resources to the org= GOOD
    Everything that takes money/time/resources away from the org= Bad

So very true. That is why they bang away at seemingly innocent things like school sports, extra cirricular activites, birthdays, having the neighbors over for dinner (worldly association) and just about any damn thing that isn't in the WT society's interest first and foremost.

-They show no true remorse or gratitude.

Its pretty incredible how they can spin their false predictions. I remember one of the last DCs, (maybe the last I ever attended) they were spouting off about how 1925 and 1975 were actually good, because they were "keeping on the watch" Blech.

-They surround themselves with genuinely good people to prop up their grandiose image.

This can be a real tough one to overcome, especially if you were never "wronged" by an elder or someone in authority. I left almost because of doctrinal issues alone, I was fortunate to have a pretty decent bunch of JWs around me most of my life. Of course coming here made me realize how nasty some JWs are. But the fake facade does work to keep many in the org.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

awesome post!!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I like your username.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit