How do you cope with being shunned?

by TimothyT 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Hi guys and gals.

I have not been a JW now for over 16 months and since then I have been ever so happy and free. I’ve also used the time to become a better, more knowledgeable and more fulfilled person. At that time I decided to study counselling skills and become a psychotherapist and it has taught me SO MUCH about the way I think and feel. As part of the course, all students must have 10 hours of personal therapy so I am. I’m thoroughly enjoying it but it’s so apparent to me that 99% of the stuff I’m bringing out that bothers me or has affected me in the past is thanks to the organisation. Not a very good witness to the counsellor for a start. She must be thinking that the organisation has serious issues (which we all know it does).

In the last session we spoke of shunning and how it feels. I enjoyed speaking about this as it’s something which I must say Im almost over, although when it happens it still hurts and the loss of old friends sometimes saddens me. I told her how I've coped with it over the past 16 months, namely through my amazing boyfriend, my family, my new friends who love me for me, my work, my college studies and many more things. These things are just a huge part of my life that they overshadow the so called 'friends' i used to know. Having said that, today I was once again shunned by a brother, even though I greeted him, asked him how he was, thanked him and said goodbye. He did not respond to any of those greetings! I felt like I was back on the school playground!

So how do I cope? I remind myself that I’m going to be the better person. I feel this behaviour is so childish and I see it as such. I also took note that the person isn’t to blame but it’s the organisation which has a lot to answer for. I’m also hopeful that one day these 'friends' may call me and want to see me again. I also tend to laugh about it all. I guess that’s my coping strategy. Overall though, I see the whole situation as beneath me - I have become a much stronger and more powerful person since now I’m free to use my head and develop myself. I respect their autonomy even though they dont, and for that I pity them.

This forum has been terrific for me and I have used it a place to rant and express my feelings. So how do you cope? Give me some ideas.

Love Tim xxx

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, Tim!

I'm marking this thread so I can come back and read your OP more thoroughly - but I agree, you are the 'better person' for not having to hide anything about yourself that should be considered natural but is "demonized" by the Watchtower Society... [And by the three current middle-eastern holy books too, I might add...]

• perfect1
    perfect1

Hi Timothy-

Most counselors, psychaiatrists, mental health professionals know that the JWs are a destructive group.

Congratulations on starting down a new career path.

As to your question:

I have a full and rich life which I enjoy. However, I still feel sad for the family which shuns me, because I cant share or celebrate my happiness and success with them. IN fact, I have realized they take a perverse pleasure in tragedy and things going wrong because it confirms their world view. I suspect that if I were to die tragically they would feel very sorry for themselves and then think- we knew this would happen because ourchild is so wicked and and worldly!

That sick twisted mental pattern has helped me to realize I dont want or need people like that in my life, whether or not we are family.

And that is my answer to you.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it's been years now since I was shunned in person. Last year I did have a few dubs drop me on facebook and block me. I'm like eh, whatever

• bigmac
  • bigmac
    bigmac

sorry--dunno what happened there.

shunning--you get used to it--like--2 of my 3 kids shunned me for 25 years now--never met 5 of my grandchildren.

tell you what though--it really clarifies the attitude to that cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit