JW beliefs that are clearly not based on scripture

by JimmyPage 9 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Mustaches are okay, but beards are not. Suits and dresses are the only acceptable forms of clothing for worship.

How many times is the term "governing body" found in Bible? How many times is the term "faithful and discreet slave"? Compare this with the number of times Jesus is mentioned, whom the Bible refers to as our exemplar, the head of the congregation, our redeemer, and the one to whom all authority in heaven and earth has been given, in whose name every knee should bow. Just sayin.

We need to record and report the time we spend preaching, and appointments in the congregation are based mainly on this.

Accepting certain fractions of blood is a conscience matter.

The generation of Matthew 24 is actually 2 overlapping generations.

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

dude,

come off it. beards are not "bad". you can still go in service, comment, etc. Just prob not going to get appointed or used for microphones, etc.

also, what the heck are you talking about "suits and dresses are the only acceptable form".

haven't you seen indian/african JWs and their traditional garb. also, again, that is just the standard dress. nothing to say you cant comment, go in service (pretty sure), or attend meetings without suits/dress.

the other stuff you say i agree with.

im not defending jws, im just pointing out reality. some people on here get WAYYYY to carried away.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Come off it yourself dude. Same guy who started a thread about not going out in service because no one is home during the weekday. I found people at home all the time on weekdays. I'm not defending JWs, I'm just pointing out reality. Some people on here get WAYYY too carried away.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I would have brothers come up to me when I had little hairs growing on my chin at 14 years old telling me I needed to shave it off. Probably for the best though. No 14 year olds facial hair looks any good.

• smiddy
    smiddy

What about the brochure that set the standard for dress even when sight-seeing at conventions ,you should be dressed as if your attending a meeting , no joggers, jeans , or denim skirts for women et.etc.

smiddy

• scotoma
    scotoma

Their dress rules are just a part of the formula to create a culture.

Reporting time is OK. Putting your name on the report is the bad part.

The real problem is that the Bible isn't the book they want it to be. The Bible emerged from the same culture that produced the Taliban and Sharia.

Those desert dwelling dudes were the center of their universe. Everything around them was sheep. Their sheep were sheep. Their servants were sheep. Their women were sheep and their diet was sheep. Their occupation was slowly walking around a semi-arid environment listening to the monotonous bleating of their animals. Their main entertainment was stumping one another with bizarre riddles they thought up while isolated with their herds. This no doubt led to their fascination with "sacred secrets".

Basing any belief on "scripture" is not necessarily desireable.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Not that I'm a Christian believer......but, the JW belief that Jesus is only the Mediator for the 144,000 is cultish.

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

They believe that Jesus was "resurrected" as a spirit. I do not believe this is biblical. Christ himself said that he was flesh and bones. If he was a spirit at that time then he was lying. Since he perfectly reflects God and God can not lie then I have to believe he was resurected.

• blondie
    blondie

When all else fails, the WTS uses Matthew 24:45-47 as the basis of anything they teach. We're (GB) are in charge, we are God's representatives on earth, anything we say is from God.

• FingersCrossed
    FingersCrossed

45 “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Are v.45-47 used as the basis for the "faithful and discreet slaves"? V.45-51, is more like a parable to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit