Quotemining

by goddidit 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• goddidit
    goddidit

I don't know if there are any fully-believing JWs on this site but this is what I will attempt to put to them next time I meet one:

>>>

I can't convince you of the problems with your worldview or of the overwhelming evidence for evolution so let's ignore that. Please just tell me why the writers of your publications tell blatant lies, as demonstrated here: http://corior.blogspot.com/2006/02/misquotations-in-creation-book.html

<<<

Through my life experiences, discussions with JWs and hefty research, I am *absolutely* convinced they are wrong. I am more convinced of this than I am of the fact of evolution (I hold this position with 99% confidence). My motive is to help people escape from this destructive organisation. I would be very interested in any feedback about the above quote-mining, along with a summary of your position on the JW worldview.

Many thanks all

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I had a friend who placed the Creation book in 1986 with a householder who then took the initiative to look up the original sources for some of the quotes. My friend went back to the house on an RV and asked the person what they thought of the book. The householder said that book was intellectually dishonest and he had ripped it up and thrown it away. Not exactly the "experience" you would hear at a convention, but it's a true story.

• cedars
    cedars

Leolaia - it's interesting you should say that. I had almost the same experience with the exact same book. One scholar I placed the book with actually had copies of some of the books that were quoted in the Creation book, and even tried to show me (using these books) how the Society had been extremely selective in its use of quotes.

Of course, I was heavily indoctrinated at the time, and found a way to excuse it. Still, it always niggled in the back of my mind.

I keep thinking I would like to go back and tell this chap how I view things now, but I can't help but think there would be no guarantees that he wouldn't reveal his conversation with me to the next JWs who came a knockin'.

Cedars

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Leolaia:

I had a friend who placed the Creation book in 1986 with a householder who then took the initiative to look up the original sources for some of the quotes. My friend went back to the house on an RV and asked the person what they thought of the book. The householder said that book was intellectually dishonest and he had ripped it up and thrown it away. Not exactly the "experience" you would hear at a convention, but it's a true story.

Yeah, they could turn that into an 'experience'™:

After receiving a copy of the Creation book, one householder eagerly studied the material, even verifying the statements of respected scientists throughout the publication. Seeing the value of the publication, the householder provided excerpts of the book to local sanitation workers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit