Old Memories Revisited - or - How to Stop Worrying and Love WT Indoctrination

by undercover 5 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I remember when I was a kid, how the importance of meeting attendance was continually drummed into our heads. Through the magazines, meetings, and especially traveling overseers, it was stressed that missing just one meeting was akin to allowing Satan into our lives and would jeopardize our everlasting life in paradise earth.

One particular bit of 'advice' stood out, even to a small child: even if out of town relatives showed up on meeting day, you shouldn't let that cause you to miss a meeting. I remember trying to play that out in mind... 'Welcome, Grandpa! My, you must have traveled for days to get here. I'd invite you in, but we're getting ready to leave for the Kingdom Hall. Want to come with us?' Stupid. No matter how I tried to play it, it just didn't make sense. I figured then that some things were exaggerated to make a point, and no one would really expect you to live up to such nonsensical standards.

Fast forward several decades:

A couple that we were friends with in the hall moved to another state. My wife kept up with them more than I did, especially after I learned TTATT. But for awhile they communicated, and our friends always made it clear, 'if you're ever in our area, let us know so we can get together'.

Well, in time we did travel to their area. My wife pre-arranged a meet up...sort of. We didn't know our exact schedule but we knew we would be in the area in a certain 24 hour period. So they knew we were going to be in town, just not the exact hour.

When we knew a more exact time, my wife called to let them know. Their response? 'Oh. We'll just be leaving for the hall at that time. We won't be able to meet this time. Maybe next time.' Really? You can't dump one of your 5 (at the time) meetings of the week, to spend time with old friends? I guess we weren't really that close of friends, after all.

The WT indoctrination does work, even down to blowing off old friends to attend the same humdrum, boring WT meeting

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Bottom line....these people just can't make the time for you. It's all pleasantries. "Oh we should get together sometime." Yadda yadda. They couldn't give 2 hoots about getting together with you. Professional BS'ers!

The only time the looovvvee to get together is when it's on your tab and the booze is flowing (on your dime of course!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

They sound pretty hard core..

They don`t want to miss Important WBT$ Information they`ve heard a thousand times before..

..........Image result for brainwashing

• done4good
    done4good

I have noticed they tend to respond that way more often when they are fighting their own cognitive dissonance, especially if they thought you and your wife would likely not go to the hall with them. If it were something else they wanted to do, (without you being there), they may not even think twice about missing the meeting. Based on the context here, its sounds like it was implied going to the hall was not on the agenda, so you received their self-inflicted guilt trip response.

d4g

• Alive!
    Alive!
    Done4good - absolutely spot on.
  • WasOnceBlind
    WasOnceBlind
    Yeah that always bothered me, my parents are like that to this day. I remember one time one of my aunts came to visit from Mexico, she was on her way to Chicago (we live in Cailfornia) but decided to stop and spend a day with us and her brother who she hadn't seen in maybe 5+ years. Well it was a Sunday we had the noon meeting, my aunt wasn't exactly sure what time she would arrive since she was driving from San Diego but estimated to arrive at around noon or one. Well my parents just couldn't miss the meeting, they left a spare key for her under a mat. When we got home from meeting there was my aunt sitting alone in our living room. Pathetic. To this day, if you are there on meeting day they will ditch you to go to meeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit