First Review - Paradise Earth: Day Zero

by donuthole 2 Replies latest jw friends

• donuthole
    donuthole

Hello friends! I had a bit of brightness on an otherwise dreary Monday. Shane Crash, author of Forest Life, has reviewed by upcoming novel Paradise Earth: Day Zero. Because I wrote it for Jehovah's Witnesses, I've been eager to see how someone who doesn't have a JW background will approach this novel. Today I got my first sample, and it is positive. You can check out the review here --> http://www.shanecrash.com/review-of-paradise-earth-day-zero-by-anthony-mathenia/ or for convenience I've posted the text below. The novel will be released on Dec 21, 2012, just in time for Mayan doomsday. :-)

---Review of Paradise Earth: Day Zero by Shane Crash

I was fortunate to receive an advance copy of Anthony Mathenia’s new novel, Paradise Earth: Day Zero. The novel is a deconstruction of the Jehovah Witness faith, set at the onset of an apocalypse event. Day Zero is the first volume of a forthcoming trilogy. Although the disastrous events are global, the story is pleasantly small in scope. The Jehovah congregants hole up in the kingdom hall for shelter, lending to the evocative humanization of the group.

The catastrophe is viewed through the eyes of one central character. The man remains nameless throughout the story, but the narrative flows in such a way that backstory reveals itself as the event progresses. Wielded correctly, this form of exposition can work brilliantly, and Anthony pulls it off without missing a beat.

Even more fascinating than the blizzard fireballs of doom raining down from the heavens is the progression of the character’s rationalization of humanity’s impending destruction. The continual onslaught of horror and death take a toll, leading the character from blind faith to a horrified skepticism. We’re able to see through the man’s recollection that these events are not the first time his faith has forced him to credit the divine for an unimaginable atrocity. The man’s memory reveals just how dangerous an imagined ‘pious duty’ can be for human beings.

As an ex-evangelical I know all too well of the sensationalized pseudo-theology of doomsday and Armageddon. I remember fondly asking a pastor, “how the hell anyone could believe such bollocks?” To which he replied, “youth is a dangerous time in any life. Often times our brains are filled with lies, and most people are afraid to empty their heads when they get older.”

Many faiths throughout the world have their own prophesied version of the end of all things. As an ex-Jehovah’s witness, Anthony’s firsthand experience of the faith lends itself well to the difficult task of conveying sympathetic characters in what would otherwise seem inhumane, barbaric, and irrational to an outsider. However monstrous, the central group’s lack of compassion for the dead and dying is understandable, albeit disheartening. Anthony uses his insider knowledge to craft an interesting array of characters within the sheltered group.

The hierarchy and patriarchy of the religion is evidenced as the church elders bully the congregants into submission. The congregation is in constant fear of being cast out and shunned by the church elders. And the reader is forced to watch in disgust as their submission leads to horror and death. The commentary on fear mongering and hierarchy is unraveled via story craft, and it also struck me with its parallels to evangelicalism. The story rolls out a sympathetic treatise on the Jehovah Witness faith, but I would venture to say that it could just as easily apply to the majority of systematic faith groups. My study of religious anthropology has shown me that at the heart of even the smallest faith groups is a system of hierarchy and in most cases, patriarchy.

Furthermore, via story craft, Mathenia manages to brilliantly comment on the vice of blind obedience and unquestioning faith. Mathenia observes: the problem with expectations is that in the end we don’t always get what we hope for. Mathenia says that we may anticipate the effect of a dream realized, but we don’t know that our expectations of a dream realized will mirror reality.

One might expect the group of congregants to be overly pious, and they are to an extent, but what struck me is how similar they are in nature to the nonreligious. They’re selfish, violent, and greedy. They share all the traits that make human beings what we are, and they may have given it a name, (sin), and they may fancy themselves set apart, but their humanity resides within them. These traits: lust, greed, envy, and anger are often the source of great evil, but they also lend themselves to empathy and compassion. They are the source of our humanity, and to try and rid the world of them is folly. The problem with perfection is that it’s unknowable, and yet, it’s all around us.

Day Zero is an incredible start to the Paradise Earth trilogy. Mathenia has crafted a cautionary tale, but more than that he has crafted a human journey from indoctrination and fear – to freedom and compassion. He’s a gem of a writer and I highly recommend purchasing this novel. You can pre-order it via the Paradise Earth Indiegogo Page. If you live in the Illinois area, you can also purchase tickets to the end of the world book release on December 21 at the Jacoby Arts Center in Alton, Illinois.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Congratulations Anthony on receiving such a positive review. I am looking forward to the first book in the trilogy. I believe your book(s) will appeal to a large audience as so many religious groups believe an endtime scenario not unlike the JW's. It seems that the only difference between these groups is the religious affiliation of the survivors. Leslie

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

should be quite a read...

not sure from the website if i can order a book or is it digital?

Oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit