WT QUOTE: The Authoritarian Governing Body

by Darth Rutherford 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Here is another priceless quote from the Watchtower:

Review some of the ways Paul appealed to the consciences of those he served. He sought neither prominence, praise nor power over them. None of the apostles worked harder than he, yet he was far from assigning himself special privileges or seeking the best in material comforts as being ‘what was due him.’ He even refrained from making use of his due rights in many ways.—1 Cor. 9:3-18; 15:10.

His attitude was not, ‘I am the apostle to the Gentiles appointed by God’s own Son so I am not concerned about what anyone thinks. What I do is between me and God. I know I’m right; so let others accept it and not question it.’ Having authority, he was not authoritarian.

-w72 9/15 pp. 565-566 pars. 19-20

Contrast that quote with today's GB: "I am the governing body anointed by God so I am not concerned about what anyone thinks. What we do is between us and God. We know we're right; so let others accept it and not question it."

Yes, having authority, they ARE authoritarian.

Thanks Watchtower for another priceless quote!

• alanv
    alanv

You're correct. That is exactly what the governing body say. They expect blind obediance from the sheep. Even if a witness disagrees with something that is said or written, they still have to obey.They certainly do not care what others think of them because they feel they have been appointed by God.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Good one!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Not all authorites are authoritarian; some are authoritative.

There is a difference between the two.

That being said, I once actually heard a speaker from the platform comment on a criticism of the WTS's authoritarianism; he never clarified where it had come from, but I suspect that it was a local needs thing in response to someone reading COC, because Ray Franz specifically mentioned (with considerable dismay) the GB's authoritarian attitudes throughout.

The WTFness came right after; he defended the Society's authoritarianism because, in his words, "Jehovah is an authoritarian God", specifically using those words; I never ever forgot that.

Needless to say, this flew in the face of what my nontheless devout JW parents taught me me about God as I was growing up.

Yet another little "wait a minute" moment for me, in retrospect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit