Did God invent the sword?

by Badfish 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Badfish
    Badfish

Flaming Sword

In Genesis 3, when Adam and Eve are kicked out of the garden, it says there is a flaming sword guarding the way to the Tree of Life.

This was before Adam and Eve had any children yet.

But metalworking and forging are not mentioned until Tubal-cain -- Adam's great great great great great grandson -- comes along. Not sure if it means he invented the forging of tools or if he was just a blacksmith, though.

But back to the main point. If there was this sword guarding the way to the Tree of Life, does that mean God invented swords?

• sabastious
    sabastious

This subject is compelling evidence that the Genesis stories were never meant to be a literal retelling of history. The sword is obviously a symbol that represents a deeper meaning. The same thing can be said for the characters of the story as well. Adam = ?? Eve = ?? The Serpent = ?? The Garden = ?? YHWH = ?? and so forth.

-Sab

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

If you believe in the Bible, then yes.

• DavePerez
    DavePerez

Bible apologists say the story was written much later, and hence relied on imagery that was well-understood by contemporary listeners/readers circa 1,000 BCE, well after the sword was invented. But yes, technically it is a continuity error, like when an extra in the background of a scene of a Civil War movie is wearing a Rolex wrist-watch.

So maybe a better question to ponder is: if God clearly had the capability to guard certain trees to prevent humans from eating from them, then why didn't He post an angel with a flaming sword on the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil BEFORE Eve could ate from it? Did an omniscient God (who knows all, including the future) not see it coming?

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I'm not too sure about the sword, but He did invent Baseball.

Doesn't the Genesis acct say, "In the Big Inning......"

• sabastious
    sabastious

QB that's funny!

-Sab

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Thanks, S

David also drove an automobile because it says, "He roared his Triumph"

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I remember this was a "questions from readers' subject. I'm not sure if I was reading something current, or something older at the time. I used to like to read the bound volumes from years past (I know, I know)

I remember that THEIR explanation was, no he didn't, but that the term sword was used to give a visual that people could understand.

So-------------

the fruit: Literal

Adam and Eve: Literal

The Flood: Literal

Species created according to kind: Literal

Soddam and G: Literal

Sword defending the garden: Metaphorical!

Anyway, that all I have to add. I don't believe in the bible nor the Garden nor the sword---but that was the JW take.

• pontoon
    pontoon

I do believe God invented killing. According to the book Able was making animal scrafices that pleased Jeh. EVIDENTELY if those scrafices pleased god he must be the one who invented it. Hudson Valley NY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit