Birthday - Thanksgiving to Christmas

by so confused 2 Replies latest jw friends

• so confused
    so confused

So my son is going to have a birthday this month he is going to be 3 (this is the 1st time we have celebrated). I spoke to his day care and arranged to bring party hats, cupcakes, cars plates and napkins, noise makers. Then his daddy and i will take him to Chucky Cheese for dinner, games, cake and presents. Does that sound good for a 3 year old? I want him to enjoy it but not to go overboard. He see parties on TV and has been asking me for months that he wants a party.

Then I'm thinking about Thanksgiving probably wont change this year since even as JW we would always eat a Thanksgiving meal because we would get a free Turkey at the store. We dont have any non witess family or friends that we would have dinner with anyway.

But Christmas is a hard one. I always loved the lights, music, tree, smells. even as a JW. I would catch myself singing Christmas songs in the stores and start feeling guilty. I can see myself going crazy (especially because it would be my 1st christmas ever) and with my JW family visiting that would not be a good idea. I want my 3 year old to start enjoying these times of the year. I was reading about what the lights, Santa and even candy canes started and it was not bad origins. Santa was a priest that would give gold to girls so they would have a dowry. My husband is planning to go to his Christmas party at work (during the day). But I'm not sure if I should go to mine (its after work) I feel kind of weird because not all of my co workers know im not going to the meeting anymore and my belief are now changed.

Someone at my job said start off slow. Which is good advise. But I feel like I dont want to waste any more of my life.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

I cant help but think the party at school and then partying at Chuck E Cheeses is a bit much. He'll be exhausted, not to mention you and your husband afterwards too. Then again I dont have kids and after I spend 15 minutes with a kid I feel like someone slipped me a Ativan or Ambien. But it seems a bit overkill for a three year old, but I dont have kids and have never celebrated anything so my credibility on this subject is null and void.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

As a stepmom to two and grandma to four, I think your birthday plans for your son are fine. As for Christmas, it's not carved in stone that you celebrate it on December 25th. Greek Orthodox observe the holiday the first week of January. If your jw relatives will be gone by then, celebrate accordingly. If you can find a sitter, go to your company's evening party. Most if not all of your co-workers will be happy to hear that you're widening your social life to include them, at least at work functions. I've found most "worldly" people to be accommodating to newcomers in society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit