Reasoning with Jehovah's Witnesses: Disfellowshipping

by Darth Rutherford 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

How can we reason with Jehovah's Witnesses regarding the practice of disfellowshipping fellow believers?

Well, when you look up Disfellowship in the NWT index, you are referenced to EXPEL, EXPELLED.

When you look up these two words, you get the following scriptures:

John 16:2 Men will expel YOU from the synagogue. In fact, the hour is coming when everyone that kills YOU will imagine he has rendered a sacred service to God.

John 9:22 His parents said these things because they were in fear of the Jews, for the Jews had already come to an agreement that, if anyone confessed him as Christ, he should get expelled from the synagogue.

John 12:42 All the same, many even of the rulers actually put faith in him, but because of the Pharisees they would not confess [him], in order not to be expelled from the synagogue;

Did you note that those who are doing the disfellowshipping in each case are those who DO NOT follow Christ.

If we use the Watchtower's "Birthday" logic as found in the Reasoning Book...

Everything that is in the Bible is there for a reason. (2 Tim. 3:16, 17) Jehovah’s Witnesses take note that God’s Word reports unfavorably about birthday celebrations and so shun these. -rs, p.68, par.4

...then, should we not also reason that God's Word also reports unfavorably about disfellowshipping/expelling fellow believers, and so shun the practice? If we practice expelling people out of the congregation, how are we any different than the Pharisees who did the same? Were the Pharisees favored by God for expelling people out of the synagogue? Did the Pharisees show Christian love when they disfellowshipped others?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

DF: Did you note that those who are doing the disfellowshipping in each case are those who DO NOT follow Christ.

Um, no. The scripture in John 9:22 says that the Jews would expel from the synagogue anyone confessing Jesus as the Christ.

00DAD

BTW, I just noticed your initials!

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Hey 00DAD, not sure I follow your point. The Jews in the context of John 9:22 were Pharisees. I'm pretty sure that the Pharisees did not follow Christ. That's why they would expel anyone who confessed Jesus as the Christ.

Also... my initials are DR.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

DR, you're right. The font you used (at least as it appears in my browser) is so small I mis-read the "doing" in the " those who are doing the disfellowshipping" phrase as "being."

Either I need better glasses or to enlarge the typeface when reading your posts.

Sorry!

00DAD

• tornapart
    tornapart

Excellent points DR.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Thanks for pointing this scriptural president out to us. I may need this logical argument one day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit