Abridging the Christian Greek Scriptures

by smmcroberts 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• smmcroberts
    smmcroberts

My latest blog is the sequel to "Dispensing with the Hebrew Scriptures":

http://smmcroberts.net/blog/abridging-the-christian-greek-scriptures/

It argues for an abridgement of the NT similar to what Thomas Jefferson accomplished with the "Jefferson Bible".

I intend a third and final article in this series, so please don't assume that I regard abridging the NT as the last word on the subject.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Are you going to do one on the Book of Mormon?

• undercover
    undercover

Are you going to do one on the Book of Mormon?

Only if Mittens becomes president...

• Terry
    Terry

It argues for an abridgement of the NT similar to what Thomas Jefferson accomplished with the "Jefferson Bible".

What Jefferson did was remove as much superstition and the supernatural as he could from the text in order to distill a practical result.

What strikes an objective reader is how little substance remains!

There is little that can be demonstrated to be "divine". Not too surprising once you remove superstition from your heuristic!

The fundamental (can we actually call it:) ERROR of tampering with something that has evolved by accretions over thousands of years is this.

Once you remove the actual premise (divine supernatural origin) the text is a mishmash of inscrutable choc-a-bloc scribal stitchings!

Layers and layers of (helped along with good intentions) editorial corruptions is about all there is IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Redaction is what? The bible IS redaction! A redaction of a redaction of a redaction of an editorial insertion of an oral retelling of thousands of repeated stories from time immemorial.

In other words: Why bother with what bothered the last person to do violence to the text with EQUAL good intentions??

• smmcroberts
    smmcroberts
    In other words: Why bother with what bothered the last person to do violence to the text with EQUAL good intentions??

Great question (and summation), Terry; it anticipates my final article.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit