Today's text--James Brother in...The Bible Is Not Enough

by sd-7 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sd-7
    sd-7

WT comments, 4/29/15:

"Does this mean that as long as there is no clearly stated law from God, we can just follow the ways and standards that we are brought up with and that are common in our area?...[quoted Prov. 16:20]...The Bible shows that trends and standards of the world are manipulated and controlled by none other than Satan, 'the god of this system of things'".

By this logic, practically anything could be labeled as satanic. Computers, cell phones, cars--those are all pretty trendy. Does that mean it's God's will for us to avoid them? Treating women as something other than an inferior is trendy, but I guess we all know it's God's will for us to avoid that particular 'trend'! It's all an evil plan from Satan for us to treat women with dignity! Which trends are we supposed to avoid, exactly? Who can say? Oh, right. Only the Watchtower literature can say and be regarded seriously. Anyone else is just expressing a "personal preference" at best and "influenced by Satan" at worst.

And of course we know that if there is no 'clearly stated law from God', the Watchtower Society is more than eager to pick up God's slack and make a law if none previously existed. This text is a prime example of that, and adds the not-so-veiled threat: "Therefore, if we want Jehovah's blessing and approval, we need to heed the admonition found in today's text." Translation: "If you want to be part of the team, you better obey the WT even if the Bible doesn't say anything about the rules we make up." The text itself? "Prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God." (Rom. 12:2) So, in the absence of proof from the Bible, when in doubt, just heed the Watchtower. "Therefore, if we want [the Governing Body's] blessing and approval, we need to heed the admonition found in [Watchtower literature]." That actually works just as well, and in fact they could say that outright and it would be accepted by most in attendance at the meetings.

So, reminder: you can't figure out right and wrong on your own. Worse, you can't even figure it out by reading the Bible itself. Therefore, you need WT literature to 'prove' what God's will is for you. It's a great exercise in intimidation and denigrating humans as a whole, and even a slap in the Bible's face as well, all rolled up in one paragraph. (Of course, to say this is also, ironically, to highlight their own collective failure as the ones responsible for teaching people to be mature Christians. If you need any reminders of that, just go through the "Questions From Readers" section of the Watchtower magazine for a few years.)

Identifying traits of a cult in use:

--Black-or-white, all or nothing worldview

--Reducing members to a childlike, dependent state

--Fear, guilt, shame

"Their stance toward outsiders is of benign superiority."--p.77, The Guru Papers: Masks of Authoritarian Power, by Joel Kramer and Diana Alstad, quoted on freedomofmind.com.

So...that was just one day's text. Since I'm hearing 'em every morning now, might as well have at 'em.

--sd-7

• CloseTheDoor
    CloseTheDoor

Good points.

It's obvious that those who wear beards are also "influenced by Satan".

• Magwitch
    Magwitch
    I was also influenced by Satan when bright socks were trending.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Hey, SD-7!!!

1) I miss your posts. You seem really cool. I think we would get along awesomely!!

2) Dead on!! The main problem with dubs is that they simply cannot distinguish between what the scrolls called the bible say, and what the GB SAY THE SCROLLS SAY.

GB: " Don't worry amaharets/R&F, we will tell you what Jeehoobidoobs thinking on the grey areas are! Just STFU and be blessed by us not destroying your life!! Now it's time to STFU!!!

DD

• sd-7
    sd-7

Data Dog--I particularly appreciate your Man Without Fear avatar there.

1) Perhaps we would get along well. I'm glad to reconnect with you guys.

2) There it is. I read the Bible a lot, and the more I did, the more I saw that something was wrong. Mostly in the extreme attitudes promoted by those taking the lead, the extreme things said in assembly and convention talks. And the literature...simple reading comprehension goes a long way with all that.

Magwitch--who knew? Bright socks. Well, if only they were wool dyed reddish purple, you'd be okay, am I right? Ha!

CloseTheDoor--Beards. The most sinister of Satan's snares regarding grooming. "O if only this hair didn't naturally grow out of my face! Then I would praise you forever."--Psalm I just made that up, verse 3.

--sd-7

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Always be on the watch for the deceptive 'bait-and-switch' in WT publications. The BAIT is the subject under discussion and is usually introduced by a question.

BAIT: Does this mean ... the ways and standards that we are brought up with ... ?

The SWITCH is that the answer given is not in relation to the question and does not actually answer the question.

SWITCH: trends and standards of the world

Such words plays are often accompanied by an appeal to authority (Bible) and part of a universal battle between good and evil (Jehovah v Satan).

The irony of this WT article is that two of the "trends and standards" that the world is currently adopting is freedom of religion and minimum standards for child protection in organizations.

WT comments, 4/29/15:
    "Does this mean that as long as there is no clearly stated law from God, we can just follow the ways and standards that we are brought up with and that are common in our area?...[quoted Prov. 16:20]...The Bible shows that trends and standards of the world are manipulated and controlled by none other than Satan, 'the god of this system of things'".
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    Great to have you back dude, I can read your stuff straight into my mind... (that made sense in my head..)
  • Ding
    Ding

I thought the WT says it doesn't go beyond the things written in the scriptures.

Now those things aren't enough...

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The Bible shows that trends and standards of the world are manipulated and controlled by none other than Satan, 'the god of this system of things

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Jesus never wore pants!" Nor did he wear a suit, or a tie, or socks, or anything polyester. All of these trends and standards of Satan need to be discarded.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit