The courtyard and the holy city in Rev 11

by Smitty 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Smitty
    Smitty

Hi all,
    Is the courtyard the same as the holy city in Rev 11?

Quote:(NIV)Rev 11:2 - "But exclude the outer court; do not measure it, because it has been given to the Gentiles. They will trample on the holy city for 42 months."

• Justin
    Justin

The temple is in heaven. "Then the temple of God was opened in heaven ..." (Rev. 11:19) The "outer courtyard" is on earth, or else it could not be trampled upon.

The temple is also the Holy City. John says, "I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple." (Rev. 21:22) But the Holy City, being heavenly, has a representation on the earth in the "outer courtyard." That's why the forces of Gog and Magog "surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city." (Rev. 20:9) So the "outer courtyard" is the holy city in its earthly manifestation. The three and a half years correspond to the time that the Syrian tyrant, Antiochus Epiphanies, defiled the temple of Jerusalem in the 2nd century BCE and provided a prophetic type that was to be re-enacted in the end-time. So that final period of persecution is represented as three and a half years, whether it is literally of that length or not.

So the "outer courtyard" is the holy city, but it is not all that there is to the holy city.

Justin

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

You might enjoy learning that serious scholars have understood Revelation as the covert condemnation of Roman rulers in the first and second century.They are able to identify all the major charactors.The book also reflects the long standing obssesion with numerology that pervaded late Judaism. (3,6,7,10,12,knowing the astrological significance of which helps to reveal the message)Being christians at that time believed the "end" was imminent the chronology ends at what was for them the very near future. When later christians read it they naturally adapted it's symbolism to mean some YET future time.Christians today 2000 yrs later have not given up attempting to "decifer" the message,but of course apply it's symbols to present entities.As time continues,as long as there are those who call themselves Christian Revelation will appear to be speaking to them.

• Tower Man
    Tower Man

No, the courtyard is not the same as the holy city. In the OT, the courtyard was an area where the gentiles were permitted to go, but no further into the temple itself. The temple was for the Jews. The book of Revelation is a time when God will again focus on the Jewish nation to fulfill all His promises to them. The temple spoken about in chapter 11 is a real, earthly temple. Remember, the antichrist needs to stand in the temple and declare himself God. This coutyard will be part of the rebuilt temple in Jerusalem during the tribulation period.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I was appalled to learn that the 12 foundation stones described as gem stones in chapt 21 are in fact the exact 12 birthstone symbols based on the lesser zodiac.All twelve in exactly the correct order.This Gnostic writer of Revelation was no doubt influenced by Christianity.

• Smitty
    Smitty

Hi peacefulpete,

You said,
    You might enjoy learning that serious scholars have understood Revelation as the covert condemnation of Roman rulers in the first and second century.

where can I read about this type of information?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Smitty

You can find it almost everywhere.But I must warn you that this is a door that once opened is impossible to shut, it may change your whole life.There was an interesting PBS Frontline program on this topic not long ago.The PBS Online site still has the material discussed. Go to the site and search "Apocalypse!".As to books,I only now have one that addresses this specific topic of identity of the kings of revelation."Traditions in Transformation"it is a collection of essays by students of Frank Moore Cross,a pioneer in the field of Bibical origin studies.It is a fine book to introduce you to the field.I have read at least two other books from the campus library but can't recall the titles.I'm sure you can find similar ones near you.Be careful about anything written by clergy few are honest with the subject.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit