effect of shunning

by lancelink 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• lancelink
    lancelink

I have read quite a bit on this site about the effect of shunning, mainly how the person being shunned reacts to it. And then there is the wt reaction, how everything is the df'ed persons fault.

Well, I ran across this article today. Some might think it is way too off base with the drug problem that this girl faced.

But the point I got out of it is how important it is to help the person with the problem instead of walking away and expecting that ignorance will cure the problem.

I knew several people over the years who were ignored by their jw family/friends because New York told them to do the jw "right thing"

How sad this religion is.

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/04/26/father-pens-honest-obituary-about-daughter-s-heroin-overdose/21176534/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00001348

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Yes, Witnesses will spend days, weeks, months, and years, knocking on the doors of apostate followers of Christendom, (and evolutionists!!!) to talk with them and try to "help" them spiritually.

Perversely, they'll spend weeks, months, and years determinedly avoiding all contact with loved ones who disagreed with the teachings & practices of a bunch of men in New York.

The religion isn't sad - it's downright evil and corrupt!

• Watchtower-Free
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

This brings up a subject that we as parents had with our teenager just this past weekend. We asked our child what would he/she think if they had a drug or alcohol problem and went to a rehab facility for help and once they arrived the facility said that they could or would not help them. Once you get well, please come back to see us. He/she said that they would be shocked and that would not make sense. The point we were trying to make with him/her is that you don't reject people when they may need your help the most. We are getting our kids to think critically. Something we did not learn til later in life.

Like I once read here...."Jehovah's Witnesses, the only religion that shoots their wounded."

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

...."Jehovah's Witnesses, the only religion that shoots their wounded."

Moslems, Amish, Mormons, too I think.

• talesin
    talesin

The pain of feeling utterly alone. I can easily understand the need to escape that.

It's hard to *not* want to escape pain.

It's a strange thing about our society (to me). We fail to acknowledge that behaviour has causation, and issues are better resolved than ignored - both on a personal and societal level.

t xx

• disfellowshipped1
    disfellowshipped1
    Evidently the Disfellowshipping arrangement has recently been changed according to the Finnish Minister of Justice and the minister of Internal affairs
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    talesin:The pain of feeling utterly alone. I can easily understand the need to escape that.
    It's hard to *not* want to escape pain.
    It's a strange thing about our society (to me). We fail to acknowledge that behaviour has causation, and issues are better resolved than ignored - both on a personal and societal level.

Absolutely!

And the witnesses will find out that exclusion is not a good policy.

They should be asking why there is this growing hostility to them? How many of us would bother with expressing our feelings here and to others if we had not been excluded (cut off) from our families.

Of course, with minds set in concrete like faith, they'll keep blaming the devil, when a moments reflection would tell them the stark truth - they are bringing the disaster they face as an organisation on themselves.

Little by little, like drops of water wearing away a stone, the expressed anger of excluded family members will wear away the witness organisation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit