Why does shunning hurt so much uniquely among JWs?

by sunscapes 7 Replies latest jw friends

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

What makes shunning in this religion REAL tough to deal with...(as opposed to being defrocked or ex-communicated, etc.):::

Why it's not as simple as "Why don't you just walk away?"

1-Many JWs lack social skills from birth in JW upbringings, lack of diversity in associations, controlled environments sheltered from the real world.

2-Lack of outside contacts or support "safety net" of outside mentors.

3-Discouragement of seeking any outside independent sources, education or professional help or information. Discouragement of outside independent research after dedication.

4-Discouragement and intolerance of independent thinking and private opinion, or dissenting opinion.

5-Religion portrayed a "way of life" not to be deviated from, only one "way" is claimed to be in divine favor, like one "ark" of salvation, and one God demanding exclusive devotion.

6-Too high a value placed on "oneness" "unity" "brotherhood" inversely proportional to healthy relationship potential outside of the church

7-Larger proportions of entire families are indoctrinated, effectively making abstainers and objectors "black sheep" in their own families

8-"Service" and "spiritual condition" to deity measured numerically and subjectively from peers and overseers.

9-"Spiritual Family" trumps "Fleshly Family" when advice is given over who should one turn to for help in all matters.

just my 2 shillings

• JT
    JT

Joke

you are jamming this PM

i could not add anymore to what you have said beyond agreeing

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

well, I appreciate that, as I had a lot of different thoughts running around on this sore-spot issue with many good folks and I wanted to encapsulate as much as I could think of this. I just want to get to the root causes and consequences of shunning and why it's ungodly policy.

• terafera
    terafera

Sun, I completely agree... good points!

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Shunning is by no means unique to the Witnesses.
    Every CULT Ive read about shuns ex members, separates members from larger society to some degree or other. I would imagine that being shunned as an Amish, or a member of the Exclusive Brethren or The Anne Hamilton Byrne "family" would be worse than being shunned as a dub.
    imo.
    The Witnesses greatest "cult" achievement is their History fabrication. They are second to none in that.Someone really should do a comprehensive book on it. The University professionals writing books about failed prophecies always refer to the Adventists. Because adventist material is easy to obtain.But the Adventists are nothing next to the dubs when it comes to concealing failed "truths".
    The Witnesses are the masters.

• Simon
    Simon

I fit most of the above I think. Anyone who 'followed the rules' and didn't have the worldy association would not have the friends outside that would make it easier to leave. Also, I find it very difficult in social situations as I definitely lack the skills - getting on with other JWs is a very 'contrived' setup and not like real life at all.

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

Refiners: No, shunning is not unique in and of itself, as I intended to compare JW vs. mainstream religions, rather than vs. the other cults, which indeed sometimes can be physically painful to leave in certain circumstances. The point I was making is that, if you grant the comparision, shunning is PAINful moreso in the JW vs. , say catholic or protestants, etc. That was my point.

No doubt as you say, painful shunning among other cults is prevalent, too.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

"Anyone who 'followed the rules' and didn't have the worldy association would not have the friends outside that would make it easier to leave."

Maybe this is why I found it so easy to leave. I wasn't raised in it for one, and I never let go of the friends I had outside of the religion. Come to think of it, I had only two or three friends inside the religion.

Lilacs

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit