12 signs you are a modern day Pharisee

by Zoos 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

And here you've got the 13th sign :

Some GB members feel nowadays like playing the white sheep showing publicly their credentials, in Mexico or elsewhere.

Pharisees were acting the same way in their time.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

If you think the unwashed masses need to be kept ignorant for their own good...

...you might be a Pharisee.

If you think organizational "unity" trumps authentic integrity...

...you might be a Pharisee.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    when I was a witness I think I would have reasoned that I had accepted 1914 as the end of the gentile times and the events associated with that date. accepting the anointed witnesses as commissioned to preach the good news of the kingdom. accepting this with the evidence of the world wide preaching activity and fulfilment as I understood it of Matthew 24 I would also have believed they were the faithful and discreet slave class and Ezekiel 24:24 was applying to them only, not any previous Christians, in this time of the end and as such the modern day Ezekiel class they were acting as a watchman, as he was and so some may think there are some comparisons to beeing Pharisee like but there are not, they are only doing their appointed job in a unique time period.
  • Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters
    Great posts, can't believe I missed this thread! Spot on.
  • Freeandclear
    Freeandclear
    The more I learn about my former religion and it's leaders the clearer it becomes to me that they are indeed nothing more than modern day Pharisees. Incredible that I never saw this before..... What a waste of time.
  • Makemeanunbeliever
    Makemeanunbeliever
    About sums up many converts, esp new ones. Power goes to their heads. Its a human trait and happens in every faith.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    But especially jw's, believer. You could say the above things about a few people from many faiths. However you could say the above things about the whole of the JW faith, from the top down. It IS their belief system and these things are not discouraged but encouraged and common practice.
  • Fernando
    Fernando

Oh the irony...

*** g79 6/8 p. 28 Why the Emphasis on Christian Freedom? ***
    Persons who insisted on Law observance denied the value of all-essential faith and continued to look to works as the means for making themselves righteous.

*** g79 6/8 p. 28 Why the Emphasis on Christian Freedom? ***
    A perfect code of laws cannot make any person righteous.

*** w82 7/15 pp. 17-18 par. 9 How Do You Guide Your Life? ***
    The Jewish Pharisees zealously advocated rules. Not content with the Mosaic law, they developed numerous rules or “commands of men” that invalidated God’s commands. Besides developing these rules that went beyond what God asked, their legalistic outlook encouraged the view that righteousness could result from knowing and keeping these human regulations.

*** w96 3/15 p. 21 Jehovah—A Lover of Righteousness and Justice ***
    However, the Jewish scribes and Pharisees sought to attain righteousness by following a rigid code of laws—most of their own making. Their legalistic justice usually eliminated mercy.

• Fernando
    Fernando
    Legalistic and moralistic Pharisaism is the reason for the existence of "Judging Committees" and the absence of "Spiritual Healing Committees".
  • Fernando
    Fernando
    *** w96 1/15 p. 29 Light Ends an Age of Darkness ***
    The Pharisees originated during the Grecian period as a vigorous reaction to anti-Jewish Hellenism. By Jesus’ day, however, they were rigid, tradition-bound, legalistic, proud, self-righteous proselytizers and teachers who sought to control the nation through synagogue instruction. They came mainly from the middle class and disdained the common people. Jesus viewed most Pharisees as self-seeking, merciless money lovers who oozed hypocrisy. (Matthew, chapter 23) They accepted the entire Hebrew Scriptures in the light of their own explanations but attached equal or greater weight to their oral traditions. They said that their traditions were “a fence around the Law.” Far from being a fence, however, their traditions invalidated the Word of God and perplexed the public.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit