Dialects of the Loaded (aka “Pure”) Language

by Londo111 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

Usually, JWs will speak and act with rigid uniformity and as seen via the KingdomHallofJW videos, the uniformity is scarily similar from region to region.

However…what differences are there in the JW loaded language?

For instance, I’ve always heard or said the expression “going IN service”, however, I’ve noticed in a few instances where some have said “going ON service”. This has jumped out at me. Do any know the reason for the variation? Its origin?

What other variations exist?

• bennyk
    bennyk

American "English" vs. British English.

e.g. 'at the doors', 'on the doors'

• Pterist
    Pterist

One of Orwell’s most important messages in 1984is that language is of central importance to human thought because it structures and limits the ideas that individuals are capable of formulating and expressing. If control of language were centralized in a political agency, Orwell proposes, such an agency could possibly alter the very structure of language to make it impossible to even conceive of disobedient or rebellious thoughts, because there would be no words with which to think them. This idea manifests itself in the language of Newspeak, which the Party has introduced to replace English. The Party is constantly refining and perfecting Newspeak, with the ultimate goal that no one will be capable of conceptualizing anything that might question the Party’s absolute power.

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/1984/themes.html

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

This may just be one families thing, but when I was growing up there was one family that would say "Ok guys, it's time to make prayer" instead of "say prayer". Probably just a weird personal thing...

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

I've noticed british people also say "answer up" instead of commenting. I've heard that many times on podcast interviews with blokes from across the pond.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Doublethink

The idea of “doublethink” emerges as an important consequence of the Party’s massive campaign of large-scale psychological manipulation. Simply put, doublethink is the ability to hold two contradictory ideas in one’s mind at the same time. As the Party’s mind-control techniques break down an individual’s capacity for independent thought, it becomes possible for that individual to believe anything that the Party tells them, even while possessing information that runs counter to what they are being told. At the Hate Week rally, for instance, the Party shifts its diplomatic allegiance, so the nation it has been at war with suddenly becomes its ally, and its former ally becomes its new enemy. When the Party speaker suddenly changes the nation he refers to as an enemy in the middle of his speech, the crowd accepts his words immediately, and is ashamed to find that it has made the wrong signs for the event. In the same way, people are able to accept the Party ministries’ names, though they contradict their functions: the Ministry of Plenty oversees economic shortages, the Ministry of Peace wages war, the Ministry of Truth conducts propaganda and historical revisionism, and the Ministry of Love is the center of the Party’s operations of torture and punishment.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I read Part 1 of 1984...I need to push myself through the rest. It was so depressing!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit