How to proceed when your teen wants to visit a church youth group.

by Tylinbrando 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Age group 14-18.

I have only made one stipulation. Reading Steven Hassan's book Combating Cult Mind Control and a 4 page essay.

Over the top?

Invitation is from another youth with Protestant Christian Evangelical parents. Whatever that means.

I want input from parents with teens. Please.

• designs
    designs

Have him/her repeat GeezusGeezusGeezus 50 times real loud.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Teach Your Child How to Think

Read the introduction ... This book is not for you if ....

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

"Invitation is from another youth with Protestant Christian Evangelical parents. Whatever that means."

Aw, I loved that phrase!

My opinion? ABSOLUTELY YES! Don't worry, the child will probably enjoy themselves! Christian churches are NOTHING like what you've experienced as a JW. Some are kinda fun and have neat activities for teens - often in the line of volunteering which is GREAT for the community and strengthens the child social skills.

How do I know? I was confirmed Episcopalian, attended a Catholic high school and university, Presbyterian middle school, have Baptist friends, and enjoyed Jewish summer camps and services at synagogues. NONE EVER REQUIRED MY ABSOLUTE LOYALTY. Your kid will be fine and will get to be around other kids doing normal stupid teenager things. Seeing the variances will both educate your child AND teach them to think! (Isn't this the goal?). There really is nothing to lose. :) Assuming the child really goes (remember, you have a teenager - they do dumb things), appreciate the fact that they're hanging around kids whose parents actually attend church services!

My 21 year old experienced everything from churches to synagogues and has a huge respect for all faiths and belief systems. Might be just me, but I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Oh, and before I forget - yes, Hassan's book would be WAY over the top. I realize you have concerns and they are totally rational given your experiences. If the kid wants to return to participate, it really would probably be more for the social aspect. :)

Will they read the Bible? Depending on the activity they may.... Will the Bible be interpreted differently than the JWs interpretation... Yep. Is that a bad thing? Nope. Personally, I'd rather my child know all views generally so they can challenge their own arguments/perceptions and develop critical thinking skills.

Also, I looked through "Teach your child how to think" when my daughter was a teen. I appreciated the book but she was enrolled as a scholorship student in a very expensive private school. I decided this was their job. *giggling*

I would still HIGHLY recommend this book for life in general!

• perfect1
    perfect1

Look at it this way- if your kid is sixteen- in 2 years they will legally be making their own decisions.

It would be better to train them to think critically and be discriminating then try to limit their exposure to new experiences.

Help them grow up by letting them make their own decisions.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think kids should have a chance to see other religions - just talk to them about it afterward.

My grandfather used to say that all religions either want your time, or your money, or both.

That might be a good starting point.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Thank you all for your input. My daughter attended her first youth group meeting tonight. She met knew people. She listened to a small group of kids play some music that have aspirations of being a rock band. She listened to a few speakers about tithing and how when everyone pitches in to buy a pizza one person isn't stuck with the bill. She read various scriptures about all the different names of Jesus and what they stand for. She said one female speaker started talking about how Jesus is Everything and began to weep and weep. She said during the band playing a couple kids put their hands in the air closed their eyes and began swaying side to side like they were in a trance. She said they prayed to Jesus a lot for everything and said Jesus and Lord and Redeemer and Savior more than any other words.

They asked about her religious background and experience. When she said JW, she got a lot of Oh My Gods and Wows... And why are you here?

I asked if she would go back and she said yes maybe but only because her friends are there and the people are nice. But she is not feeling any of the religious sentiment stuff or the emotions that others seem to feel and she had a little bit of struggle trying to stay serious when she wanted to giggle at some of the things that happened.

I think it was a great experience for her and I am a little intrigued at how it will proceed as she gets to see others views on life.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I think it was a great experience for her

I agree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit