What is Nothing? A Mental Construct?

by frankiespeakin 54 Replies latest jw friends

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Nothing doesn't exist.

If you have a baseball in one place, and a basketball in another, you could say they are 5 clicks apart, with nothing in between. But if you move them twice as far apart and call it 10 clicks apart, you have just decribed a numerical quantity of something that you called nothing. By definition, nothing can not be described in such terms and quantities, so that apparent nothing is really something.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

2013 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate: The Existence of Nothing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLz6uUuMp8

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I liked one idea expressed in this video about nothing: Nothing is a term who's definition does not exist so when we say the universe came out of nothing doesn't mean nothing in the absolute sense because the universe came from something which can be called nothing depending on your definition of nothing(quantum vaacum)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCaUps6EhMg

• soontobe
    soontobe
    Yep - "Nothing" does not exist. The elements of the Universe have always been, as Quantum Physics now show. Some may call it god - I call it nature.

Infinite regression?

If there was no beginning, time extends into the past infinitely. Actual infinities are untraversable. It all has to start at some point, which means it cannot be infinite.

I'm pretty sure quantum physics shows nothing of the sort, by the way.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I think this thread has " Much Ado About Nothing "

smiddy

• bohm
    bohm

If there was no beginning, time extends into the past infinitely. Actual infinities are untraversable. It all has to start at some point, which means it cannot be infinite.

Okay, so if God has no beginning, his being must extend in the past infinitely. Actual infinities are untraversable. It all has to start at some point, which means he cannot be infinite, which means God cannot exist.

Oh wait a second, God is timeless (which you never get to hear what is asides "timeless is what prevents my own paradox from applying to God"). Yet he can take actions; so we can assume something could have existed past infinitely, which could have taken actions, such as making the universe.

• Terry
    Terry

Zeno, where art thou?

You see, language is tricky for us because we use words in a sloppy way. When it comes to science, numbers are best.

But, not being mathematicians--we think we can get away with using words--and it will be just as accurate. Ha ha ha ha.

For one thing, let's distinguish between Nothing and "nothing". As an object of thought, that is.

We can use "nothing" as a concept, a quantity or an absence or place-holder. Unless we are specific each and every time we employ that word

we are off down the rabbit hole.

So, please....

unless we are really qualified by education and employment to discuss matter of science mathematically---why do we pretend there is an accurate exchange of information going on in this thread?

I'm just sayin'......

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/2011/07/how-the-universe-appeared-from-nothing.html

How the universe appeared from nothing

10:22 28 July 2011 Animation Space

MacGregor Campbell, consultant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJIWobQh9WI

There's no such thing as a free lunch, or so the saying goes, but that may not be true on the grandest, cosmic scale. Many physicists now believe that the universe arose out of nothingness during the Big Bang which means that nothing must have somehow turned into something. How could that be possible?

Due to the weirdness of quantum mechanics, nothing transforms into something all the time. Heisenberg's uncertainty principle states that a system can never have precisely zero energy and since energy and mass are equivalent, pairs of particles can form spontaneously as long as they annihilate one another very quickly.

The less energy such a system has, the longer it can stick around. Thanks to gravity – the only force that always attracts – the net energy balance of the universe may be as close to zero as you can get. This makes its lifespan of almost 14 billion years plausible.

If you take inflation into account, which physicists think caused rapid expansion in the early universe, we begin to see why MIT physicist Alan Guth calls the universe the "ultimate free lunch."

You can read the full story here or check out the rest of our Existence special.

• frankiespeakin
  • frankiespeakin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit