TIME TRAVEL

by picosito 6 Replies latest jw friends

• picosito
    picosito

The following was cut and pasted from the "DIMENSIONAL PORTALS..." link from the following site:
    http://www.abovetopsecret.com/pages/futuretech.html.

"My NSA contact confirmed that the [US] government has succeeded in time travel, but also considers it a dangerous technology. Teleportation research conducted at the Lawrence Livermore/Sandia National Laboratories, CA has had some successful results, as well. Certain extraterrestrial races have been using portals of their own devising to visit earth. Now the U.S. government, ever avaricious to copy ET technology, has created a primitive but working model of its own. Dr. Wen Ho Lee, nuclear scientist in the headlines, worked on that holographic portal project, along with other scientists. You will recall that Dr. Lee was accused by the government of copying U.S. "nuclear secrets" onto a non-secure computer tape. In the previously-lax security environment of the professorial Los Alamos Labs, run by the University of California, and accustomed to informal exchange of information among research colleagues, such "lapses of security" have been epidemic. If every LANL scientist who took short-cuts around certain security measures were prosecuted, Los Alamos would be a ghost town."

I just saw a special on the History Channel tonight about the "Philadelphia Project" (bottom link on above www page). Science fiction and UFO's may not be imaginary or simply imaginative after all. Maybe someone will eventually be able to go back in time and convince C.T. Russell to just go ahead and get ever more successful in business to keep him from starting another stupid religious movement.

• Simon
    Simon

Time travel is not that far fetched ... after all, we've been doing it for ages. We all move forward through time at slightly different speeds. I admit going back would be a bigger challenge and it would be useful to 'correct' things. The danger though would be what worse scenarios we created?

... the reason Dr Who didn't destroy the Kaleds (who became the Daleks) when he had the chance!

• SYN
    SYN

Theoretically, it's possible. Ever heard of the Einstein-Rosenburg bridge?

But if you look at it, any time travel of any sort would probably produce paradoxes which would make it impossible to do. Going back and killing your own grandmother, for instance. This is the essential failing of most time-travel theory.

The main problem is that the human view of 'time' is flawed. We view the world through filters - and time is not a separate entity like many people think it is. It is just another dimension in our axis of coordinates. That's why it's so difficult for humans to comprehend the true nature of time, because our brains are essentially only built to handle the 3 usual dimensions, not an extra one.

For example, try visualising a 4 dimensional hypersphere. Pretty hard, huh? YOU CAN'T DO IT, YOUR MIND IS INCAPABLE! Everyone's mind is. The only way we can vaguely grasp 'time' is through mathematics.

"...the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing" - The Golden Age
    [SYN], UADA
    - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Time travel is a little tricky...

Does anyone know that silly little hand-shape you make in electronics to figure outwhat way currents and magnetic fields are going? The one that looks like a gang symbol? And how you can flip this around if you change the polarity of the connections?

(A shit explaination, but I am utterly shite at electronics, as I spend too much time asking questions about whether electrons actually flow as per the model, and asking why they didn't change round the words 'positive' and 'negative', and the postulated idea of elctron flow when they found it they'd got it the wrong way originally).

Essentially, as SYN says, time is a dimension, but one that is rather one way... UNLESS you do something so magnificently huge you manage to 'flip' the arrow of time, as in the example of reversing polarity of an electric circle.

From memory, a 1000 mile-long structure, rotating 40,000 times a second, would generate such massive forces it could travel in time, as it would 'flip' the dimensional arangement so that time became a direction (with the rather disturbing side-effect, according to my understanding, that one of our nice and cuddly three dimensions would become a one-way street like time).

Unfortunately, the time travellers in such a device would look like steam-rollered pizza. No... worse than that.

Obviously, there might be more subtle ways, but if there are, people are keeping quiet.

As for time paradox... well, it depends on how the Universe is made.

One could argue if one went back in time and killed one's grandfather one would not go back in time and kill one's grandfather, as one would not be.

This is true. But what would happen when you pulled the trigger? Would the bullet fire, your grandfather die, and you go 'poof'? Would going 'poof' be unbeingness, or finding yourself a little further back in your subjective time-stream (i.e. before you pulled the trigger). Would you miss, or the gun misfire, on some kind of 'conservation of reality principle' as yet undiscovered? If, as some speculate, reality is a infinate set of possibilities, constantly expanding at every possibility, then you could kill your grandfather, and you would cease to exist in one Universe, but would still kill your grandfather dead and be alive yourself, as by killing your grandfather you created an entire Universe where your grandfather died, which wouldn't effect you as you'd come from a Universe where he hadn't. How elastic is reality? If Hitler had died in infancy, would someone have filled his little nazi boots regardless?

I personally dislike the idea of infinate realities. It's messy, confusing, and I'm sure it violates the conservation of energy. Me turning right instead of left cannot logically create enough energy for a whole Universe. Therefore you're left with something like ultimate causality, which means shit happens, and once it's happened, it's happened... in other words, if you killed your grandfather, he'd die and you'd live, even if you killed him as a child, as you would still have your own seperate time-frame and mass, even if your actions meant that you couldn't have.

But, for obvious reasons, no one is entirely sure... but it makes for great bullshit conversations, especially with a few bottles of good wine and some pot.

• SYN
    SYN

The paradox isn't something that prevents us from performing time travel - it is merely a limitation that humanity still has to work around. Whenever you consider travelling in time, you risk an infinite amount of paradoxes occurring, from the molecular level up, not just gross higher-level actions such as killing your grandfather, although this is the canonical example.

"...the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing" - The Golden Age
    [SYN], UADA
    - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa.

• picosito
    picosito

Biff was able to prosper because of the Sports Almanac, which allowed time to skew into an alternate 1985, which Doc and Marty were able to correct after all. But could it mean that there are lots of "alternate" time scenarios in existence, invisible to us all via normal reality?

• Valis
    Valis

hmmmm....Time Travel or Armageddon...niether one sounds terribly plausible, but then again I guess if we could move forwards/backwards in time, it would certainly get rid of prophecy. Dream a little dream....too much Star Trek is a terrible thing to waste.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit