Some Personal Stuff

by amicus 6 Replies latest watchtower medical

• amicus
    amicus

I lived with my folks when I became a witness at 18 years of age. My parents were surprised when I cut off my ponytail. They were upset when I wouldn’t re-enroll in college. My mom, the Catholic, decided to remain quiet after voicing her initial displeasure. My dad, the?, had found one more subject to joke about. His humor was usually dry, harmless, but pointed. As I headed off to a JW function he would always say, “Another meeting?”. Often this would be followed by “You used to be a much better person when you were a Catholic. You only needed one meeting a week then. You need to learn how to be as good as I am, I don’t need any meetings!”
    On and on he would go. He never tried to stop me. He always tried to help. We wore the same size coat and belts. He worked on my tie knots and I had free access to his wardrobe. When he had to travel on business we planned how we were going to share that wardrobe.
    I spent less time, in those days, with my folks than I should have. They were “worldlings” and considered bad association. I began pioneering and moved out of my family home as soon as I could afford it, to live with other pioneers. Of course, my folks helped me financially. They always took very good care of their kids.
    My dad died when he was 52, my mom followed a few years later. We knew where my mom's strength came from. My siblings and I often discussed where my father found his. We finally decided that it was from his Native American heritage of which he was so proud, but would seldom discuss. He was one of the finest and brightest men I’ve ever known. He was a natural leader, very athletic but quiet, kind, and generous. I'd give almost anything to have just a few more hours with him now.
    When I read stories like this, I think of him.

(Red Jacket explains why he does not like missionaries)
    “They do us no good. If they are not useful to the white people and do them no good, why do they send them among the Indians? If they are useful to the white people and do them good, why do they not keep them at home? They [the white men] are surely bad enough to need the labor of everyone who can make them better. These men [the missionaries] know we do not understand their religion. We cannot read their book – they tell us different stories about what it contains, and we believe they make the book talk to suit themselves. If we had no money, no land and no country to be cheated out of, these black coats would not trouble themselves about our good hereafter. The Great Spirit will not punish us for what we do not know. He will do justice to his red children. These black coats talk to the Great Spirit, and ask for light that we may see as they do, when they are blind themselves and quarrel about the light that guides them. These things we do not understand, and the light which they give us makes the straight and plain path trod by our fathers, dark and dreary. The black coats tell us to work and raise corn; they do nothing themselves and would starve to death if someone did not feed them. All they do is to pray to the Great Spirit; but that will not make corn and potatoes grow; if it will why do they beg from us and from the white people. The red men knew nothing of trouble until it came from the white men; as soon as they crossed the great waters they wanted our country, and in return have always been ready to teach us to quarrel about their religion. Red Jacket can never be friend of such men. If they [the Indians] were raised among white people, and learned to work and read as they do, it would only make their situation worse…. We are few and weak, but may for a long time be happy if we hold fast to our country, and the religion of our fathers.” –Red Jacket (c. 1824)

• mommy
    mommy

Amicus,
    Thank you:)fortunatly my mom is still alive. Unfortunatly she is soooo wrapped up in her religion she is not really alive(if you know what I mean)I just listen to her talk and in my heart say ALL the things I really want to say.
    I love her deeply because of her I am here. I know how hard it would be not to have your parents on this earth. But look at yourself Amicus, when you want to get close to them.There has to be something on your body that is descendent from them. The way your eyebrows are or the way your hands are shaped. Something on you that brings you closer to them. Concentrate on this and speak to them, say everything you wanted to say but didn't have time.
    Any way thank you for posting your thoughts they will not be trampled on here!
    wendy

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Amicus, thank you for posting your thoughts. When I read the passages you post from Native Americans, I can't help but to be moved by the sheer beauty of the words and the wisdom. In so many ways, Native Americans have been much closer to God.

I'm sure that your parents know of your quest for truth in your life, and I'm sure that they are there watching over you.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Amicus,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and I am sure your parents have every reason to be proud of you. What you describe of your father, I somehow feel that you are a bit like him. I do not know you personally, but from what I have come to know you through your posts, reflects an intelligent man, quiet but thoughtful.

As Wendy said, there are surely some things about you physically as well that reflects your parents as well. Haven't you ever caught your reflection in a mirror and for a split second, saw your parent, then realised it was you? Or looked at an old photo of your parents, and saw how much you look like your father when he was your age?

That is one thing I take with me. My mum died when I was a kid, and although I never really got to know her as a person, her physical attributes are carried on by me. Many comment how much I look like my mother. And also how much I am like her - in mannerisms, speech, gestures etc. So in a sense, she is still alive, and I am proud to be able to continue on her spirit in me.

So be proud of your parents, as I am sure they were of you. Be honored to carry your father's name and spirit in you, and live so that further generations will remember you in like manner.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Amicus,
    Thank you so much for sharing part of your soul. I know everyone here has different beliefs. But I feel strongly that your parents are with you in some way. They probably don't feel that you neglected them in your search for the "truth". Most parents are very understanding and forgiving of their children. Just as we are of our parents.
    The beautiful passage you shared made a lump in my throat. If only all humans would respect others... what a much better world this would be. Tolerance tempered with compassion and mercy are so very important.
    TW

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Amicus:
    Thanks for sharing. From your post it appears that your parents were wise people. They let you do what you felt that you must. Remember that they too faced similar situations when they were young and, like you, had to make choices. They understood that it was your time to make choices. All of us stand at crossroads in our lives many times. All of us have regretted at one time or other a particular road taken or not taken. Time will never allow us to go back and make that choice again. Perhaps that is just as well for time is something to be experienced as a virgin. Once we 'know' it would not be the same. God in all his wisdom has allowed us many mistakes which he is willing to forgive. I believe that this road of the life we now have is a proving ground, a conditioning and not a test.
    And in the end if I am wrong and this is life is indeed all that we have and will ever have then this is a great, cosmic joke and nothing matters anyway. It is my nature, however, to believe in an almighty God who is our father and who, in the end, will take care of us.

• waiting
    waiting

hey Frenchy,

Perhaps that is just as well for time is something to be experienced as a virgin. Once we 'know' it would not be the same.

If this is an original thought of yours - it's worth exploring within your poetry and writings. Beautiful thought captured in a word.

Perhaps the point of poetry? You damned poets - get people like me thinking.

hey Amicus

The Great Spirit will not punish us for what we do not know. He will do justice to his red children. These black coats talk to the Great Spirit, and ask for light that we may see as they do, when they are blind themselves and quarrel about the light that guides them.

What fine insight. Amazing what intelligence with/without schooling is able to perceive. Makes one feel humbled.

You obviously cared deeply for your parents - and they you. That's a gift of memory. If you're as fine as your parents - you'll accept the gift and pass it on. Traditions stem from such gifts.

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 28 January 2001 8:54:8

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit