My First Presidential Election

by DarioKehl 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

I voted for the first time in my life in 2010, but this is the first presidential election since my awakening and subsequent fade from the JWs! I can't wait! That's not to say I'm really excited about either candidate (I'm not), but this is another exciting milestone in my exit and healing process. The "world" takes this small thing for granted. From my perspective as a faded JW, I'm taking this right to make my voice count very seriously. Yay ME. No matter who our next president is, I feel like I'll be the winner on election day this year!

Who else is popping their election cherry next month? How do you feel about it? I'm pretty stoked!

(oh, and the best part is... the voting center for my district is located inside a LUTHERAN CHURCH!!!! )

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

LOL...yes I'm popping my election cherry next month too. Never voted before, but I'm going to enjoy being a part of the process.

• zeb
    zeb

Thats funny, there was a tiny tiny mention about voting being a matter of conscience many months ago and a tiny tiny little note put up on the KH notice board.

(removed soon after..yes?)

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

It took me several years before I realized, "Hey, I can vote now!" I voted in 2008 and it felt great. You'll love it.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

tiny tiny mention about voting being a matter of conscience

Fornication is also a personal decision. The result is the same: Excommunication.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I'm voting for the first time as well.

Ironically, I feel less political than I ever did as a Witness.

I think as a Witness, not being able to vote, not being able to express a non-neutral opinion, feeling guilty for any non-neutral opinion I secretly held only enflamed feelings because I had to bottle them up. I will express myself at the voting booth, but other than that, I'm not going to proselyte my choice, or get in a huff if things don't go the way I voted on election day. I will do my part and be at peace.

I've former Witness friends voting on both sides of the ticket. I am happy that they get to have a voice.

• itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit