by NeonMadman 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I got this email today:

*** NEW DISCUSSION GROUP - JOHN 1:1 ***
    *** THIS IS NOT AN APOSTATE DISCUSSION GROUP ***

This is an open invitation to a new discussion group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JohnOneOne/

This group is provided for those who have a special interest in the various rendering's of what is, in the view of some, the most discussed scripture of any verse in the Bible - John 1:1.

Although many Bibles and commentaries argue in favor of an "and the Word was God" interpretation for the Greek of the third clause, we are particularly interested in those works which display appreciation for the need to convey the meaning of John's word's as something different than that; e.g., “a god,” “divine,” “a divine being,” “god-like,” “god [lower case g],” etc.

The principle purpose of this group is to encourage the free exchange of information regarding scholarly discussions on the various way's in which this verse has been rendered into English - not to the exclusion of other languages as well.

Although all are welcome to present specific information regarding the various translations of this verse, abusive and/or sarcastic speech will not be tolerated.

It is hoped that, with continued contributions, many will benefit from our collective efforts to provide some interesting and useful information to the serious, honest hearted student of the Bible.

So, if I read this right, they're looking for a "free exchange" and "scholarly discussion", that will lead them to the ultimate conclusion that what they already believe, as 'honest hearted students of the Bible', is true.

I wonder if dissenting opinions will be permitted?

Tom

"The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure; to live it you had to explode." ---Bob Dylan
  • SYN
    SYN

Well +++*PFFF*, I guess if they care to glance at the rest of the Bible they'll consume every byte of Yahoo's bandwidth instantly. HEHE!

"...the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing" - The Golden Age
    [SYN], UADA
    - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Beyond their interest in "translation" how about "interpretation"?

I too would be interested whether or not they simply want to reinforce preconceived exclusivist notions or if other paradigms would be welcome.

carm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit