Old "Light" Cannot Be Right - Interesting Quote from Watchtower

by Darth Rutherford 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Came across this quote from w64 2/15 p.101:

"When a belief is not correct but is wrong, then it cannot be right at the same time. The most sincere belief and practice of that belief will not change it from being wrong into being right. Nor will it become acceptable to God as truth, since he does not take pleasure in falsehood."

I honestly can't argue with The Watchtower here! However, this quote might help the thinking JW (few that they are) see that "old light" really is falsehood. When WT teaches something that gets revised, like the recent change in the FDS for example, then it means that for the many decades the "old view" was taught, WT was really teaching falsehood. And... as the quote concludes: God "does not take pleasure in falsehood."

Old Light = Darkness. No matter how sincere a JW's belief is, he was teaching a falsehood. That makes him/her a false teacher.

Reminds me of something the apostle Peter said, "However, there also came to be false prophets among the people, as there will also be false teachers among you. These very ones will quietly bring in destructive sects and will disown even the owner that bought them, bringing speedy destruction upon themselves." -2 Peter 2:1.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Except their defense is to claim that the old light WAS truth, just not as close to the truth as the NEW light. It's more better....

You're making the mistake of relying on binary (duality) logic, such that if something is not completely true, it must be false. Real life is not binary, black and white.

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

KS... I agree with you, life is multiple shades of grey -not black and white. The quote uses binary logic. I'm simply using a WT quote to combat WT logic. Sure, it's contradictory, but that's how JWs think.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Great quote Darth!!! We need to compile all these into 1 source, perhaps by category. I like this one you found, as I have never read it before! KS is right, some will try to explain it away. It just means that they are not ready for truth. For those that are ready it could be a catalyst. Years ago I had a seemingly random conversation that really got my wheels turning. This was over 2 years ago, and now here I am. I started a new job and received a new work phone. While in service ( lol!! ) I receive a text from an unknown person. They had known the last phone user. I told them I was in field service ( being a good JW ) They asked if Christ was my personal savior. This started a couple weeks of back and forth conversations with me furiously " studying " WT publications to refute the deceived person on the other end. Their last statement was " Your future is not secure with the WT.". I never forgot that one statement. From then on I was in observation mode. So you never know what may help someone. By the way your avatar is my favorite on the entire site! Equal parts creepy and hilarious!! Keep up the research for hidden gems of " truth ".

• minimus
    minimus

Darth, a great quote!

• mind blown
  • MC RubberMallet

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit