do some stop attending meetings because they do not receive an appointment?

by solomon 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• solomon
    solomon

consider Ryan from jan study watchtower

Ryan, a 32 year old ministerial servant, relocated to a new congregation. "I expected to be recommended as an elder soon," Ryan relates, "but a

year went by without that happening." Would Ryan become angry or bitter, feeling that the elders had failed to show him due respect? Would he

stop attending meetings, letting pride distance him from Jehovah and His people? What would you have done?

Has this happened, someone quit going to meetings because they were not appointed an elder? Why would the WT mention it otherwise?

• finally awake
    finally awake

There was a family in my former hall that kept switching back and forth to a different hall. Just Ron always thought that the husband was offended at never being given any responsibilities - I don't think he was ever even on the mowing list. But they were so unreliable as far as attendance went that how could he be given any sort of regular assignment.

• Giordano
    Giordano

There's a lot of ego involved with many JW's especially the men. Since they don't usually get any additional education after high school and usually don't have a chance to advance in the working world (with exceptions of course) being a big shot in the congregation takes on more importance.

But yes we probably all knew someone who thought they should be a chief but the tribe didn't think so and they faded away or at leasted opted for another congregation.

Even on this site many reference the fact they were once Elders or knew a DO or some of the 'heavies' at bethel. Meaning that there was a distinction or pecking order in the JW World. Many people are drawn to power and importance. However we also have the reverse For many of those on this site geting more responsibility also opened their eyes to what was going on behind the scenes and that knowledge and experience drove them out of the organization........for all the right reasons.

• elderelite
    elderelite

I referance that im still an elder ;) im very powerful and stand above the average dubbie.

To answer the OP, yes, some do. I definatly can attest that some chase 'privledges' by swiching halls... See that a lot.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well given the fact that appointments are more about politcs than qualifications, I'm sure people have moved around becuase of this. I remember when 2 congregations were disolved, the former PO of one congregation stated that if he couldn't be the PO of the newly formed congregation, he was going elsewhere. He wasn't appointed and he changed congregations. He was the former PO of the now defunct Northridge cong in the San Fernando Valley, ca

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I cannot speak for everyone, but for me the Appointment/holy spirit mumbo-jumbo was part of the awakening process. The endlesss cycle of reaching out/guilt, always trying but never being good enough and seeing the hurt caused to good brothers ( although blinded ), bothered me for years. I have no desire to be in a spotlight being an INTJ, but I honestly wanted to help others, and just could not understand why some were being passed over and others ( almost exclusively related to Elders ) were being appointed. After a few other odd occurences I realized that Holy Spirit has absolutely nothing to do with appointments, just read the Shepherd book for confirmation. I won't pretend to know others motives for leaving, or switching halls. It could be that some are appointment hungry douches, others may know that something is wrong but can't figure out what. If they are still trapped in the guilt cycle they are probably just trying to survive. When your very spirituality is measured by " theocratic " appointments, and every six months the Elders and a floating sales rep for the WTBTS talk about you in a star chamber, it can get to you. I can't blame the hall switchers really. If all you supposed " friends " are just conditional anyway, why stay in one spot for too long? If I was single, i would immediately start switching around, find a legitimate reason for it like work or health. Then I would just dissappear.

• dog is god
    dog is god

My ex-husband did not have a college degree but he was very smart. About 9 foreign langages fluently. Photographic memory and a really good ear for accent. He studied old Hebrew and Greek and Aramaic. He was a classial pianist. They LET him play the piano at the meetings. He never "advanced" to holding the mikes. When the tapes came out..no more piano. One guy and his wife invited us over to dinner. He later (after a couple of glasses of wine) said, "Well, Dave, what do you offer the congregation. You play the piano. That's it and that's over". This guy later was disfellowshipped after screwing his best friends wife. When Spain opened up both my husband and I were really excited as we both spoke Spanish. There was a lot of "who can go where the need is greater" going on. An elder approached both of us after a meeting and said, " Neither one of you accomplish much here, why would you consider going there?" I bottomed out. We both worked. Put in 40hrs/mo. Never enough, never enough. Would not let anyone get away with such trash talk now. Total assholes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit