Do You Think Humanity Will Ever Be Completely Free From Religion?

by InjusticeSystem 28 Replies latest social current

• InjusticeSystem
    InjusticeSystem
    I realize that many here still have a form of spirituality or faith, and I mean no disrespect to those individuals. I suppose I am posting this question to those, like myself, who have come to the conclusion that Religion in general is a major hindrance to the progress of our species and needs to be put aside so that we can advance to our full potential. So my question is, do you think this will ever actually happen, and how do you think we can get there?
  • Giordano
    Giordano

Islam is predicted to become larger then Christianity unfortunately due to their birthrate and considerable ignorance.

Ignorance and religion seem to go together to a large degree.

However the third largest group are 'Nons' who are people who say they are not affiliated with a religion. Many still believe in a god but as they don't practice a religion their children will also trend to indifference.

As we have seen, a steady, incremental uptick of philosophical atheism and agnosticism is discernible in America in recent years. But the larger reality is that for the many millions of Americans who have joined the ranks of the nonreligious, the causes are most likely to be political and sociological in nature.
    A second factor that helps account for the recent rise of secularism in America is the devastation of, and reaction against, the Catholic Church’s pedophile priest scandal.
    The result has been clear: a lot of Catholics have become ex-Catholics. For example, consider the situation in New England. Between 2000 and 2010, the Catholic Church lost 28 percent of its members in New Hampshire and 33 percent of its members in Maine, and closed nearly seventy parishes—a quarter of the total number—throughout the Boston area. In 1990, 54 percent of Massachusetts residents identified as Catholic, but it was down to 39 percent in 2008. And according to an “American Values” survey from 2012, although nearly one-third of Americans report being raised Catholic, only 22 percent currently identify as such—a precipitous nationwide decline indeed.
    Living the Secular Life: New Answers to Old Questions

• ivanatahan
    ivanatahan
    I'm sure humanity will go extinct before it'll be completely free.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

ivnatahan - "I'm sure humanity will go extinct before it'll be completely free."

Which would, in a weird and indirect way, actually accomplish that.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Yes ignorance seems to be the manure that makes the religion tree grow. Think how nutty and fantastical scientology is in this day and age, (not to down play how nutty ancient religion is), but really as long as people need someone stronger to tell them what to do, governments, religions, and other entities will exploit it.
  • InjusticeSystem
    InjusticeSystem

Ivanatahan - this has become one of my worst fears as of late (as I watch my mother slip back into the Borg after being inactive for several years), that we will never be able to fully rid ourselves of the fear and ignorance that make some continue to cling to religions like the Society.

Freemindfade - i agree 100%, it seems that until we can replace that ignorance with the actual truth about the history of ourselves and our world and universe, religion is here to stay. A sad prospect since so many are so very unwilling to learn those truths (evolution, etc.).

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

Never. In the absence of a deity, people worship objects, other people, themselves, money, you name it. We humans have that gene of having the need to adore something; God given to keep us dependant? Inexplicable.

SL

• cofty
    cofty
    people worship objects, other people, themselves, money, you name it.

I don't, and I'm sure I'm not unique.

• talesin
    talesin

To the OP:

I can only hope! XD

xx

• InjusticeSystem
    InjusticeSystem

Sofia Lose - What a cruel joke that would be, you may agree. Although its true in my experience that type of devotion does need to be replaced by something, hopefully something much more moderate and constructive.

Talesin - You and me both.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit