How does the WT explain Luke 10:7?

by WildeLover 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WildeLover
    WildeLover

hi all

looking thur WT cd i dont see any "decent" explanation of Luke 10:7?

(Luke 10:1-7) 10 After these things the Lord designated seventy others and sent them forth by twos in advance of him into every city and place to which he himself was going to come. 2 Then he began to say to them: “The harvest, indeed, is great, but the workers are few. Therefore beg the Master of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest. 3 Go forth. Look! I am sending YOU forth as lambs in among wolves. 4 Do not carry a purse, nor a food pouch, nor sandals, and do not embrace anybody in greeting along the road. 5 Wherever YOU enter into a house say first, ‘May this house have peace.’ 6 And if a friend of peace is there, YOUR peace will rest upon him. But if there is not, it will turn back to YOU. 7 So stay in that house, eating and drinking the things they provide, for the worker is worthy of his wages. Do not be transferring from house to house.

does anyone recall ever hearing an explanation on this? and how the preaching work seems to be contradicting it?

thanks

WildeLover

• youngbro
    youngbro

I know they have used it as to reasoning why we work in twos usually, and giving territory etc.

• matt2414
    matt2414

I'm not sure what exactly is your question? How does the preaching work contradict what?

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

It's verse 4 that is mysterious...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"Do not be transferring from house to house". Obviously Jesus wanted the 70 to find persons who would listen, stay with those persons, and get them to be His followers.

Not just knock on doors, give a garbled "presentation" and move on to the next.

The problem for tadays J.W's is that the vast majority could not stay in someones house and give a god account of their beliefs, they are not capable.

I do wish they would take this passage very literally though, I would love to see them out and about barefoot and with no purse.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

True Phizzy - it's not even lip service at this point. Just knocking on doors to count time. When confronted with real interest and solid questions, they leave to another absent door. It's total bullshit.

• WildeLover
    WildeLover

i mean the transferrin house to house piece :-S

• matt2414
    matt2414

The JWs explain that it means the early followers of Christ were to rely on the hospitality of their Jewish neighbors while preaching. At that time, Jews customarily welcomed their blood brethren, who were traveling, into their homes, offering them food and lodging. So the disciples didn't need to become distracted by carrying a lot of personal belongings with them because those items wouldn't be needed. And because some of their visits would be more than a day's journey from their respective homes, they would have to stay the night. However, they were told to accept the offers of lodging gratefully and not to be transferring to other homes if they should receive what could be perceived as a "better offer" in larger or more opulent accommodations. Later on, as persecution of Christians increased, Jesus counseled his disciples to begin carrying a purse and food pouch because their neighbors would no longer be as hospitable toward them. As mentioned, this is how I've always heard the JWs explain these verses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit